cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't upgrade NBU client with RMAN agent. (newbie)

Irys
Level 4

Hi all,

I came to you, with a new question,I trued to upgrade a NBU client with RMAN using update_dbclients, however, I got the following error:

/update_dbclients -ForceInstall Oracle -ClientList clients.rman

The following clients with the OS type listed were skipped
due to one of the following reasons:

1.  they are non-UNIX clients (which cannot be installed
         or upgraded from the server)
  2.  there is no specified database agent software
         available for that type of client
  3.  the matching database agent software was not
         loaded on the server

Client Name - OS Type
        ---------------------
        client_nbu - RedHat2.6

cat clients.rman
Linux RedHat2.6 client_nbu

Could someone guide on this, since symantec support couldn't.??

I really appreciate any idea. Thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The error that you received indicates that the Agent software is NOT installed on the master.

None of us are still using 6.5 to check for you (6.x will reach EOSL on 3 October).

NBU Client software is easy to check - check contents of /usr/openv/netbackup/client folder on the master. There must be a sub-folder for each OS version that you need to push-install. 
e.g. cat the version file in /usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/RedHat2.6 folder on the master.

If not installed on master, use one of the 'Unix Clients' dvd's to install NBU client binaries on the master.

Use NetBackup Unix Client2  dvd for Linux clients 
or   NetBackup_6.5_CLIENTS2.tar.gz from FileConnect

Use NetBackup Unix Options/Database Agents dvd to install Oracle binaries on the master    
or  NetBackup_6.5_UnixOptions.tar.gz from FileConnect.
See 'Remote installation of NetBackup for Oracle' in NBU for Oracle manual.

If you want to patch the NBU client software and agent software on the master before you push-install with update_clients and update_dbclients, find & download patches from this URL:
Master Download List : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65429 
You may need to use '-p' to force-install on the master if Client patch was previously installed on the master.

The NBU client binaries and Oracle agent version MUST match when you push-install Oracle agent, otherwise update_dbclients will fail when /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/version on client is checked during push-install.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Marianne
Level 6

More info please: -

Which version are you trying to upgrade from?

Which version are you trying to upgrade to?

Upgrade methods are different for newer NBU versions - if 7.1 or 7.5, there is no need for update_dbclients. All agents and options are included in NBU Client software.

Irys
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

The current version is 5.1, the version we want is 6.5 (since that is the currente version of media servers)

Marianne
Level 6

Have you installed NBU client software for Linux on your master?

Have you installed Oracle agent software on your master?

You need to update client software first (using update_clients) followed by update_dbclients.
This can only be done if Client software as well as Oracle agent is installed on your master.
When installing agent on master, there should be 2 options - something like Local and Remote install.
Choose the Remote option to enable push-installs from the master.

Genericus
   VIP   

Marianne is (once again) right on the money, The master MUST be updated with the remote install option.

Also - be aware that oracle links to netbackup libraries and MUST be stopped and restarted after you update the client, or you will get an error when you try to backup.

You may need to manually relink the library file after upgrade.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Irys
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

Could you explain me a little bit more about:

-Have you installed NBU client software for Linux on your master?
-Have you installed Oracle agent software on your master?

Im not sure what do you mean with installing software on master, since, what i'm trying to upgrade is a client. =)

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Installation using upgrade_dbclients command is remote install procedure - this requires client software and db agent software be installed on the master server. Marriante suggention is right.

If you still wonder, try local installation for each client. Just install client and db agent software on each client using media kit(DVD or CD) or installation packages downloaded from fileconnect.symantec.com.

Irys
Level 4

Hi Yasuhisa,

Actually that's the option we are trying to avoid (install from kit) since, we have several servers in which we need to upgrade the current version on NBU. So, it's faster to do it through update_clients and update_dbclients, but, at trying do it in our testing enviroment we had the above error.

(The following clients with the OS type listed were skipped
due to one of the following reasons:....)

We shutdown oracle instances during the process =)

Any help will be appreciate.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

SO, as Marianne suggested, check if client software and db agent software is install in your master server.
For remote install, these software must be install on the master server(I wonder how these software can be pushed if these are not installed).
If you never installed, install them on the master server.

Irys
Level 4

How can i check this part??

"check if client software and db agent software is install in your master server."

is there any path where packages or libs should be on master?? =D

Marianne
Level 6

The error that you received indicates that the Agent software is NOT installed on the master.

None of us are still using 6.5 to check for you (6.x will reach EOSL on 3 October).

NBU Client software is easy to check - check contents of /usr/openv/netbackup/client folder on the master. There must be a sub-folder for each OS version that you need to push-install. 
e.g. cat the version file in /usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/RedHat2.6 folder on the master.

If not installed on master, use one of the 'Unix Clients' dvd's to install NBU client binaries on the master.

Use NetBackup Unix Client2  dvd for Linux clients 
or   NetBackup_6.5_CLIENTS2.tar.gz from FileConnect

Use NetBackup Unix Options/Database Agents dvd to install Oracle binaries on the master    
or  NetBackup_6.5_UnixOptions.tar.gz from FileConnect.
See 'Remote installation of NetBackup for Oracle' in NBU for Oracle manual.

If you want to patch the NBU client software and agent software on the master before you push-install with update_clients and update_dbclients, find & download patches from this URL:
Master Download List : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65429 
You may need to use '-p' to force-install on the master if Client patch was previously installed on the master.

The NBU client binaries and Oracle agent version MUST match when you push-install Oracle agent, otherwise update_dbclients will fail when /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/version on client is checked during push-install.

Irys
Level 4

i think, sw is in master server, so, i can dismiss it as a possible cause. rite??

ls /usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/
IBMpSeriesRedHat2.6  IBMzSeriesLinux2.4.21  IBMzSeriesSuSE2.6  RedHat2.6
IBMpSeriesSuSE2.6    IBMzSeriesRedHat2.6    RedHat2.4          SuSE2.6

cat  /usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/RedHat2.6/version
NetBackup-RedHat2.6 6.5.4

NOTE: I know 6.x will reach EOSL on 3 October, that's the reason im tryng upgrade some clients =(

Marianne
Level 6

Good! So, you will be able to run update_clients from the master.

See my post above and detailed instructions in NBU for Oracle manual (link in my post) to install software on the master and how to push-install.

You will need to install 6.5.4 patch for Oracle as well on the master before using update_dbclients to ensure that Client and DB binaries match.

Irys
Level 4

Hi  Marianne,

how is possible to check if patch for oracle is already install??

(on the other hand, thx for the instructions, im reading now)

Marianne
Level 6

I really had to scratch/search for this info... I no longer have access to any pre-7.x installation (agents and options are included in 7.x client binaries).

I found this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65408

The master will have 'version' files under /usr/openv/share for agents/options installed on the master. 
For Oracle, the file will be called  version_oebu.

Check if this file exists - if so, check version. If not, Oracle agent is not installed on the master.

Irys
Level 4

After all your help this what i got so far.

I can do update_clients but i cant do updatedb_clients.

Why??

It seems the sw is not loaded in master server, I've checked the directory you mentioned and there is no version files in it. =(

ls -al /usr/openv/share/version_*
-r--r--r-- 1 root daemon 35 May  1  2009 /usr/openv/share/version_vault

So, I've downloaded NetBackup_6.5_UnixOptions.tar.gz package and after read documents, it seems very simple, i just have to untar the file and running ./install (since my enviroment is not clustered)  and after this, the tar files should be appear on /usr/openv/netbackup/dbext, once doing this, I can use updatedb_clients, rite??

I'm wondering if everything I say it's correct (since I dont have a testing environment where I can run new stuff freely)

Any comment it's welcome

Marianne
Level 6

Correct - gunzip and untar download, followed by install.
Follow prompts (as per the manual) for Remote install, ignore all cluster instructions.

Next, download NBU for Oracle patch that matches client version in the netbackup/client folder.
Install on Master using 'Remote' instructions in patch README.

update_clients, followed by update_clients

Good luck!

Irys
Level 4

Tks all for your help, this issue is fixed.. =D