cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can tell me the command for the following in netbackup.Simple commands.

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

can  tell me the command for the following in netbackup.Simple commands.

DETECT TAPE DRIVES AND ROBOT:

1] WINDOWS:

• OS LEVEL: DEVICE MANAGER
  • NBU LEVEL:  ?
  •  
  •  
  • 2} SOLARIS:
  •    OS LEVEL:?
  •      NBU LEVEL:  ?
  •  
  • 3}LINUX:
  • OS LEVEL ?
  •      NBU LEVEL:?
  •          
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Not quite ...

As I explained, the scan comand is for DETECTING, tpconfig for showing what is configured.

EDITTED TO ADD ...

Opps, just remembered tpautoconf .... 

tpautoconf -r  and tpautoconf -t  (r - robot / t - tape )

These do the same as scan - but I will have to admit that tpautoconf is a NetBackup command, even though under the covers, it is effectively running scan.  Personally, I would just use scan I think, why, because if scan does not work, tpautoconf won't work anyway.

tpconfig shows what is configured.

For example, I can use scan to detect drives that are not yet configured in netbackup.

Additionally, I could unplug my working drives from NBU, scan will no longer detect them (as I physically removed them),  but they will still show as configured in tpconfig (but will not work).

There is no NetBackup command for DETECTING devices.

(NOTE .  I do NOT count scan as a 'NetBAckup command' because all it does is send scsi commands to the devices configured in the os.  In fact, scan is effectivley what NBU uses to DETECT and configure devices when you run the device wizard).

Martin

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Jackie007
Level 4

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Can you please CONFIRM IF after multiple requests you have managed to find and download the manuals.  All the questions you ask are found easily in the NBU manuals, and we are unsure why you are so reluctant to actually try and lok up some of these answers.  We are happy to help, but do expect people to at least try and find the basic answers, and then ask if they do not understand something.

DETECT TAPE DRIVES AND ROBOT:

On all operating systems, you can use the command 'scan' - this causes any devices correctly configured at the operating system level to respond to scsi-commands.

To see the devices that are configured in NetBackup, on all operating systems, you can use the command tpconfig -d.  This only shows devices configured, it does NOT mean they are still attched or working.

Both these commands are in the ../volmgr/bin  directory.

On all operating systems, you can check the NetBackup version by looking in file called 'version' in the NetBackup directory.  For example, on unix it would be :

/usr/openv/netbackup/version

This is a NetBAckup forum, I am unsure why you ask non NetBackup questions, I will answer them this time, but would suggest in the future you ask such questions in the relevant os forums.

For Solaris and Linux, the operating systemversion can be found with the uname command.

On solaris uname -r will give the version, uname -a wil give the kernel version and other details.

/etc/release file will contain details also.

Linux has the uname command, check the man page for different options (eg -a, -r ) or jst try them out and see what happend.  I am unsure if Linux has an /etc/release file, but I suspect you will find the info you want in the uname command.

Regards,

Martin

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

so scan command  at OS level

and tpconfig command at NBU level.

Correct?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Not quite ...

As I explained, the scan comand is for DETECTING, tpconfig for showing what is configured.

EDITTED TO ADD ...

Opps, just remembered tpautoconf .... 

tpautoconf -r  and tpautoconf -t  (r - robot / t - tape )

These do the same as scan - but I will have to admit that tpautoconf is a NetBackup command, even though under the covers, it is effectively running scan.  Personally, I would just use scan I think, why, because if scan does not work, tpautoconf won't work anyway.

tpconfig shows what is configured.

For example, I can use scan to detect drives that are not yet configured in netbackup.

Additionally, I could unplug my working drives from NBU, scan will no longer detect them (as I physically removed them),  but they will still show as configured in tpconfig (but will not work).

There is no NetBackup command for DETECTING devices.

(NOTE .  I do NOT count scan as a 'NetBAckup command' because all it does is send scsi commands to the devices configured in the os.  In fact, scan is effectivley what NBU uses to DETECT and configure devices when you run the device wizard).

Martin

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Only in 6 weeks you opened 46 Threads asking about all basics ....

MEDIA ID, SOCKET & ports, IMPORT, HOW TO DETECT DEVICES, BARCODE

As Martin already told you  "All the questions you ask are found easily in the NBU manuals"

NBU manual is really easy way to start learning.