cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can we able to take backup while oracle and mysql DBs are in online

Govarthanagiri
Level 4

Hello,

I have planned to install NBU 7.6 on my lab evirolment to take backup of my EMS (element management system) server which is working on linux platform

here my client server have oracle and mysql databases so can you please calify my doubts as mentioned below.

1. wether can i able to take a full backup while the oracle and mysql DBs are in online ? if yes can i need to have any additional policies or agents on mater server / client ?

2. suppose if i want to restore the client using BMR . is any special procedure needs to follow during Bare Metal Restore on my client server ( or master server) to restore the both DBs as well ?

Thanks and regards,

Giri

6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You can can backup Oracle DB using NetBackup for Oracle(Oracle agent).

Unfortunately MySQL agent is not released by Symantec, but 3rd party vendor (Zmanda) is releasing it. Or, please talk with MySQL guys how to dump DB online. Once DB is dumped into flat file, just back it up!

BMR recovers OS, but does not recover applications and DBs which requires special consideration to it consistency. You need to follow DB recovery procedure after successful BMR recovery like waking up Oracle instance for recovery and recover DB through RMAN.

View solution in original post

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Like Yasuhisa is saying, From TECH55524

The Bare metal Restore (BMR) feature of NetBackup is used to back up and restore the following: 
  • BMR client operating system files
  • BMR client file systems
  • BMR client file systems and file system contents if all local drives directive is used in the backup policy.
When a BMR backup is run on a client, the file systems that contain the Oracle files, including application binaries and database files, can be backed up.  However, if the Oracle database is running at the time of the backup, the database files are not in a consistent state and will not be viable for restore.  This means that BMR itself cannot be used to completely restore an Oracle Database.
while this relates to just oracle, the same applies to SQL as well.

pri3006
Level 4
Certified

These may be helpful regarding MySQL backup with NBU:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH206692

https://www.zmanda.com/netbackup-mysql-backup.html

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

When it comes to backing up BMR clients,  Backing up databases using BMR is not recommended. Make 2 separate policies. HOWTO88716 talks about Configuring policies to back up BMR clients that are database servers:

If a client has database or application files to back up using a NetBackup database agent or other policy, you can use an exclude list to exclude them from the policy that specifies ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES. In case some files are excluded in the BMR policy, then post BMR recovery the excluded files need to be explicitly recovered.

This means recover your database after your BMR recovery.

So to backup Oracle online, Yes, need Oracle agent on client and you can do this.  Mysql online, No. Symantec does not have an agent for this but MEB can be used, just not supported as TECH206692 says. 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

jim_dalton
Level 6

Exclude whats needed to be excluded via admin gui or locally or include in the policy whats required in the stead of ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive for the OS backup.

Other ways to backup the dbs do exist - without agent indeed - but require some robust indepth knowledge of your db operations, and possibly re implementation so stick with the agent. It works.

Jim

12 REPLIES 12

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

You can can backup Oracle DB using NetBackup for Oracle(Oracle agent).

Unfortunately MySQL agent is not released by Symantec, but 3rd party vendor (Zmanda) is releasing it. Or, please talk with MySQL guys how to dump DB online. Once DB is dumped into flat file, just back it up!

BMR recovers OS, but does not recover applications and DBs which requires special consideration to it consistency. You need to follow DB recovery procedure after successful BMR recovery like waking up Oracle instance for recovery and recover DB through RMAN.

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Like Yasuhisa is saying, From TECH55524

The Bare metal Restore (BMR) feature of NetBackup is used to back up and restore the following: 
  • BMR client operating system files
  • BMR client file systems
  • BMR client file systems and file system contents if all local drives directive is used in the backup policy.
When a BMR backup is run on a client, the file systems that contain the Oracle files, including application binaries and database files, can be backed up.  However, if the Oracle database is running at the time of the backup, the database files are not in a consistent state and will not be viable for restore.  This means that BMR itself cannot be used to completely restore an Oracle Database.
while this relates to just oracle, the same applies to SQL as well.

Govarthanagiri
Level 4

Thanks Yasuhisa and SymTerry for your valuable commemts.

here i have some doutbts if we go for separe agnets for DBs

1. can i need to create a separate policy for the oracle and Mysql DBs each in NBU (exclude fullbackup policy) ?

2. if yes, i need to take of back of the DBs before taking the Full backup .am i correct ?

kindly help me to get clear

thanks & regards,

Giri

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Oracle agent requires policies of Oracle type. I'm not sure about Zmanda's MySQL agent, but it must require some specificpolicies for DB backups.

In general, DB backups should be independent from file backups. It depends on your planning and disaster scenario, but ideally order of DB and BMR backups is regardless.

pri3006
Level 4
Certified

These may be helpful regarding MySQL backup with NBU:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH206692

https://www.zmanda.com/netbackup-mysql-backup.html

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

When it comes to backing up BMR clients,  Backing up databases using BMR is not recommended. Make 2 separate policies. HOWTO88716 talks about Configuring policies to back up BMR clients that are database servers:

If a client has database or application files to back up using a NetBackup database agent or other policy, you can use an exclude list to exclude them from the policy that specifies ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES. In case some files are excluded in the BMR policy, then post BMR recovery the excluded files need to be explicitly recovered.

This means recover your database after your BMR recovery.

So to backup Oracle online, Yes, need Oracle agent on client and you can do this.  Mysql online, No. Symantec does not have an agent for this but MEB can be used, just not supported as TECH206692 says. 

Govarthanagiri
Level 4

Thanks Yasuhisa, SymTerry &Pri,

as you said , there are seprate polices needed for both oracle and Mysql DBs.

Then my doubt is if i have created separate policies for DBs and craeted a full backup policy (all local-foders)for BMR.

then in this scenario :-

DBs also to be backedup again by NBU while executing the all-local-folders policy for BMR. right ? so kindly let me know  how to exculde the DBs during all-local-folders policy execution.

Thanks and regards,

Giri

Marianne
Level 6

See this TN to learn about exclude list: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO33488

jim_dalton
Level 6

Exclude whats needed to be excluded via admin gui or locally or include in the policy whats required in the stead of ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive for the OS backup.

Other ways to backup the dbs do exist - without agent indeed - but require some robust indepth knowledge of your db operations, and possibly re implementation so stick with the agent. It works.

Jim

Govarthanagiri
Level 4

thanks to alll for your valuable informations

Marianne
Level 6

If your query was answered, please close off this thread by marking a Solution.

Or select 'Request split solution' to mark more than one post.

Govarthanagiri
Level 4

Thanks Marianne . i have spilitd the solutions