Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot connect to host properties of client from netabckup master server

sesha
Level 3
Certified
Could anyone help me out i this issue.

We are unable to connect to the host properties of the windows client  form the netabckup master server. I got an error saying " cannot connect to socket"need to do this since i Have to add the exclude list for backup selction.

Thanks,
Sesha 
9 REPLIES 9

Stumpr2
Level 6
You can log onto the client and enter the exclude entries via the Backup, Archive, Restore GUI or through regedit.

Casey_King
Level 6
Might need to check if the netbackup service is running on the client

calculus
Level 4
1. Netbackup client service 2. telnet  <client>  13782  from :  master 3. telnet < master > 13720 from : client 3.bpclntmcd -pn & iself ( host name resolution ) 4.bpcoverage -c < client name > from the master 5. please do check on the bpcd logfile and

bpgp is an unadvertised utility in Netbackup. It is really intended by Netbackup itself for transferring files to and from the Master Server to clients. The command should be executed on the Master Server. The formats are:  A. To get a file from a client to the MasterServer: bpgp from <client-name> <full-pathname-of-file-to-get>  <full-pathname-of file-on-MS> B.  To put a file from the Master Server to a client: bpgp to <client-name>  <full-pathname-of file-on-MS>  <full-path-name-of-file-to create-on-client>

example

bpgp from W2K "/C/\\Program Files\\VERITAS\\NetBackup\\Logs\\Bptm\\040105.log" /tmp/gotit

from the master to the client

bpgp to <client-name>  <full-pathname-of file-on-MS>  <full-path-name-of-file-to create-on-client>

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Have you confirmed name resolution, using:

1) Use "bpclntcmd -hn" from master to client, and from client to master.
2) Use "bpclntcmd -ip" from master to client, and from client to master.
3) Do at least two consecutive "nslookup <ip-addr>" for each of master and client, and look for different names returned from DNS - i.e. to detect duplicate DNS names.
4) Confirm that master and client have the same DNS search domains?

mbozarth
Level 3
Greetings!

I need more information about your configuration of the network between your master server and client before moving forward.  For instance, if you have a firewall between your master server and client, you need to have all the proper ports open for the communication between master server and client to work.  You will also need to have name resoultion either from a host file or dns.  Until the network is known working good, it is hard to move on with the process.

Stumpr2
Level 6

sesha wrote:
Could anyone help me out i this issue.

We are unable to connect to the host properties of the windows client  form the netabckup master server. I got an error saying " cannot connect to socket"need to do this since i Have to add the exclude list for backup selction.

Thanks,
Sesha 

Since you are trying to add to the exclude list then I guess that backups are working fine. If so, you can eliminate a lot of normal type of commincation problems. Is it just accessing the client properties that you are having the problem?

Stumpr2
Level 6
Do restores work?

sesha
Level 3
Certified
Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion . Bakcups are running fine. It is a winodow client that I am speaking about . from the netbackup gui of the master server , I am not able to connect to host propertise. But backups are running fine .
This happens only for servers under ceratin policies. . Kindly advice , what needs tio be done.

Thanks,
Sesha

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
For clients, medias and master to be able to communicate, they all need to be able to resolve each others name and also resolve each others IP address.  Every NetBackup machine does reverse lookups to confirm that a machine is really who it says it is.  The most common cause of communication problem is a not being able to resolve either or both of name and/or IP address.

Are the clients in a DMZ?

Have you checked for incorrect "hosts" file entries on both the master, media and the client?

Many times I have seen clients that have two names in DNS - try running "nslookup x.x.x.x" at least twice, and look for a different names shown in the results of each command.  You need to do this on:
- master against the master, media and the client addresses
- media against the master, media and client addresses
- client against master, media and client addresses

Next, is to try the following construct:
$ bpclntcmd -ip x.x.x.x
$ bpclntcmd -hn name

...and run these two commands twice, resolving each of the master, media and client names and addresses - so on the master server you will run 12 commands.
Now do the same on the media server to all three nodes, another 12 commands.
Now do the same on the client, to all three nodes, another 12 commands.

Carefully check the names and addresses shown in the results of each command.