Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot increase the number of maximum backup copies

achebib
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

I have the same issue but my problem is that I cannot increase the number of maximum backup copies. It does not appear in my menu. I have netbackup 7.6.1

Thanks

180px_29-4-2015 21.4.28 1.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This was removed in 7.6.1 and we hope you no longer need to change it.

From the Release Notes (page 15):

• The Maximum Backup Copies host property is no longer configurable. In version 7.6.1, NetBackup always considers 10 to be the maximum number of copies of a backup image that can exist at the same time within a single master server domain.

This property appeared under the Global Attributes master server host properties in the NetBackup Administration Console.

Symantec NetBackup 7.6.1 Release Notes
 http://symantec.com/docs/DOC7451

Anticipating your next question, I have no earthly idea why we chose to do this.  ;)  Hopefully... to make your life simpler?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This was removed in 7.6.1 and we hope you no longer need to change it.

From the Release Notes (page 15):

• The Maximum Backup Copies host property is no longer configurable. In version 7.6.1, NetBackup always considers 10 to be the maximum number of copies of a backup image that can exist at the same time within a single master server domain.

This property appeared under the Global Attributes master server host properties in the NetBackup Administration Console.

Symantec NetBackup 7.6.1 Release Notes
 http://symantec.com/docs/DOC7451

Anticipating your next question, I have no earthly idea why we chose to do this.  ;)  Hopefully... to make your life simpler?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hi achebib,

The maximum number of copies is a 'per backup' quantity, and not the total number of backups, nor the total number of clients, nor the total number of active backups, or indeed anything else.

e.g. If I take a backup, and it works, and I have saved it to disk, then I now have one copy of the backup.  If I then duplicate this backup image from disk to VTL... I now have two copies, one copy on disk, and one on VTL.

Let's assume (pre 7.6.1) that I had my global (environment wide) 'maximum copies' set to 2... then if I tried to copy either the disk copy (copy 1) or the VTL copy (copy 2) to a new third copy on physical LTO tape... then my try/attempt would fail... because the 'maximum copies' for any one single backup is/was 2.

As for why the global 'maximum copies' setting (per any individual backup image) is no longer configurable... well... like the man said... we'll probably never know why for sure, but it probably has something to do with the fact that very very few sites ever went above 10... and maybe... the vendor support teams noticed that too many customers were getting confused as to what this feature actually meant.

HTH.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Just for clarity : 'The same issue' in the opening post refers to this post: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/move-data-one-storage-unit-another-storage-unit