cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cat_import to different master server

zmlat
Level 4

Hello,

I am experimenting with cat_import/export to copy client images from one master to a different master.
Here's the situation...
I have an old, legacy NB master that I need to retire. Its an old EOSL appliance, running 8.1.2 (for restores only). The hostname is in a domain that is soon to be retired as well. Since I can't simply do a recovery to a VM with same hostname (due to different domains), I thought I'd be able to export client images from old, and import to new master. All the backups will be tape backups. I'd just need the catalog as a reference to identify the tape to import (to another master) in the event we need to do a restore.

The interesting thing is the import looks like it worked. When I go to BAR gui, it does list the available backup images, but when I select an image to restore from, I get "There are no files matching the specified criteria".

The hope is to do a "preview", get the tape ID, and do a proper tape import on another master with tape drives.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @zmlat 

There may be two issues to resolve this. One is simple, the other not so. 

1. Was transfering the FLIST files part of the process (/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/<client>/....). These contain the granular file information for the backup. The cat_import process only imports the basic metadata into the database. This is simple to fix - you need to copy the relevant files to the new primary (make sure ownership/permissions are set correectly on the target system). 
  2. You really need to create the tape metadata as part of the process (mediaID, volume pools, volume group etc.). It may work without it (but I think not). It may be possible to use NBCC/NBCCR to fix this, but I'm not sure support will help so getting the repair file (as it is kind of outside their scope - I could be wrong). 

The process you are trying to do is achievable, but you need the tools to do so and these are held by Veritas consulting.

David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @zmlat 

There may be two issues to resolve this. One is simple, the other not so. 

1. Was transfering the FLIST files part of the process (/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/<client>/....). These contain the granular file information for the backup. The cat_import process only imports the basic metadata into the database. This is simple to fix - you need to copy the relevant files to the new primary (make sure ownership/permissions are set correectly on the target system). 
  2. You really need to create the tape metadata as part of the process (mediaID, volume pools, volume group etc.). It may work without it (but I think not). It may be possible to use NBCC/NBCCR to fix this, but I'm not sure support will help so getting the repair file (as it is kind of outside their scope - I could be wrong). 

The process you are trying to do is achievable, but you need the tools to do so and these are held by Veritas consulting.

David

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

for older version, but the principal is the same

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016138

zmlat
Level 4

@davidmoline I eyeballed the images folder for the test client I imported, and noticed no ".f" files, so I tar'd up images/client/  from source and untar'd at destination, and I was able to see the backup files, and preview the media.

@StefanosM I thought the "Recovery without import" was for same master name. Probably the supported solution, but I just need the reference to identify the tape.

Thanks for the replies.  Lesson learned...no more FQDN for master server name.