cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

catalog recovery from master running on RHEL VM to appliance (master + media)

jaspreetsidhu
Level 3

Hello,

Can we perform catalog recovery from a master running on RHEL VM to appliance (in master + media role)?

Source: NBU Master 8.3.0.1 running on RHEL 6.9 VM

2 x Media Servers version 8.1, one 5230 appliance and other physical server running RHEL, Tape library in dynamic sharing mode connected to both media servers

Target: Fresh NBU 5250 appliance running as Master + Media role, version 8.3.0.1

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

no you can not do it.

Netbackup Appliance has very different catalog structure . And it is unsupported to do it yourself.
You have to engage veritas professional services.

I suggest you to keep the master server at a VM

View solution in original post

Hi @jaspreetsidhu 

100% agree with what @StefanosM says.

It can be done (but only by Veritas professional services).

Why complicate the environment by multi tasking your primary server - it will make future upgrades and hardware refreshes more complex. Keep the master server standalone (as a VM is a great idea as this gives many different ways to recover).

Cheers
David

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

no you can not do it.

Netbackup Appliance has very different catalog structure . And it is unsupported to do it yourself.
You have to engage veritas professional services.

I suggest you to keep the master server at a VM

Hi @jaspreetsidhu 

100% agree with what @StefanosM says.

It can be done (but only by Veritas professional services).

Why complicate the environment by multi tasking your primary server - it will make future upgrades and hardware refreshes more complex. Keep the master server standalone (as a VM is a great idea as this gives many different ways to recover).

Cheers
David

jaspreetsidhu
Level 3

Thanks @davidmoline @StefanosM but this is a requirement from customer to merge the role of master + media into new appliance which is being deployed as part of tech refresh. Although, support also suggested that it can be done only by professional services. Thank you.

Hi @jaspreetsidhu 

You don't indicate your role, but based on your last comment you might be a partner/reseller. I would try to have another discussion with your customer highlighting the pros and cons of the architecture they have requested. I dare say it is in your own best interest to help them next time around they need to upgrade (in about 3+ years).

If the end result is just the single appliance doing the lot, then different story.

David