Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change Retintion Period for Old Full backup and Incrimentals

eng_elfateh
Level 4

Hello ,

I'm Using Symantec Netbackup 7.0.1 Running On windows Server 2008

i have Full Backup On Tape at 12-Oct-2013 , Inc at 12,13,14,15,16,17,19,20,21,22 On Disk

How Could i make the Expire Retention = < Infinity > Period for the Full backups and it's Incremental’s

Sincerely ,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

you need to use the bpexpdate command..

1)identify the all backup IDs for full and incrmental backups

2) then run the below command to make them infinite....

bpexpdate -recalculate -backupid  <backupid>  -ret 9

Note:- this command will make the backup images retenction to infinte..so they will never get deleted.. all incrmental backup stays in the disk for life time.. ( you will never get space from disk)

so for infinte , i would suggest you to duplicate the incrmental backups to tape with infinte retenction.. they will help you for offiste rotation also.. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

you need to use the bpexpdate command..

1)identify the all backup IDs for full and incrmental backups

2) then run the below command to make them infinite....

bpexpdate -recalculate -backupid  <backupid>  -ret 9

Note:- this command will make the backup images retenction to infinte..so they will never get deleted.. all incrmental backup stays in the disk for life time.. ( you will never get space from disk)

so for infinte , i would suggest you to duplicate the incrmental backups to tape with infinte retenction.. they will help you for offiste rotation also.. 

eng_elfateh
Level 4

I tried to use (( bpexpdate  )) command but it is not recognized .

i searched for bpexpdate.exe in    Varites\Netbackup\bin     but i didn't found it

what shoud i do ?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please download the NBU Commands manual: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127047

See page 128:

On UNIX and Linux systems, <admin_dir_path> is
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/
On Windows systems, <admin_dir_path> is
<install_path>\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\

Stumpr2
Level 6

I would not extend the retention to infinity. Instead I would make duplicates of the images unto a single tape for both the full and incremental backups with an expiration of infinity for the duplicated images. There is a very easy GUI process found under the catalog section of the GUI to be used for doing this.  I would also make the duplicated images the primary copy also under the catalog section.