cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change image retention from 28 days to 7 years on backed up image

JayDhillon
Level 4

I have backed up a large file server which takes 5 days to backup using the Storage Lifecycle policy with weekly retention where it backups to VTL and then copied off to the tape for offsite. As such the retention is 28 days. Is it possible to extend the retention on the physical tape to 7 years. I do not want to rerun the backup for this 7 yr rentention as it takes long time to backup.

I would like to have the VTL image expired in 28 days and keep it on the tape for 7 yrs. Would it be better to have image copied to physical tape first and than use bpexpdate or is there way it can write to physical tape from vtl with new retention.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can use bpexpdate to change the retention of backups already duplicated to tape.

You can change the retention level in the SLP for the duplicate copy going to tape STU. Leave the backup to VTL with 28 day retention.

That is the whole idea with Storage Life Cycle Policies - to accommodate different retention needs on different storage types.

I assume that you have customized a retention level for 7 years using Host Properties?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne

You can use bpexpdate to change the retention of backups already duplicated to tape.

You can change the retention level in the SLP for the duplicate copy going to tape STU. Leave the backup to VTL with 28 day retention.

That is the whole idea with Storage Life Cycle Policies - to accommodate different retention needs on different storage types.

I assume that you have customized a retention level for 7 years using Host Properties?

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

use the below command to extend the retention of a backup image

install_path\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bpexpdate -recalculate [-backupid

backup_id] [-copy number] [-d date | 0 | infinity] [-client name]

[-policy name] [-ret retention_level] [-sched type] [-M

master_server,...]

example: if your tape image is copy 1 and need to extend from todays date to 7 years then fallow the below command

install_path\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bpexpdate -recalculate [-backupid backup_id] -copy 1 -d 1/14/2018

If you are using SLP then SLP will take care of the retention. You can configure different retention level to VTL meadia and as well as Tape.

JayDhillon
Level 4

Sorry was out of office so couldn't check the posts. Thanks for the replies. What is easier way to find what physical tapes have the image. Since its already written within slp to tapes with 28 days retention, I would like to extend it to yearly rentention on the physical tapes.

Deepak_G
Level 6
Certified

Use the following command to find the list of tapes used by a policy

bpimagelist -policy POLICY_NAME -d 01/18/2011 -e 01/18/2011 -l | grep -i frag | awk '{print $9}'

This would list the media used by the policy during 18 Jan 2011.

Use this list and run the following loop.

for i in `cat file_name`

do

bpexpdate -m $i -d [retention end date]

done

JayDhillon
Level 4

Thanks Deepak, I have windows netbackup environment will take a look into windows equivalent command.

Marianne

You can use the -media switch with bpimagelist to get the media-ids:

bpimagelist -d mm/dd/yyyy -e mm/dd/yyyy –media

Then use bpexdate to change expiration of each media-id.

Radhakrishnan
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

You can set customized retentions under Host properties -> master server -> properties -> retention levels. Just edit any of infinity retention levels to 7 years.

Also you can modify your SLP to duplicate the images with 7 years retention for tapes. SO this will make sure all your future backups having 7 yrs retention.

yasoto
Level 4

I want to modify de rl of this backup

IMAGE AC000769 0 0 8 AC000769_1298685065 policy_unix_fs_client 0 *NULL* root unix_fs_full 0 3 1298685065 25959 1301363465 0 0 135164049 654638 1 9 0 policy_unix_fs_client_1298685065_FULL.f *NULL* *NULL* 0 1 0 0 0 "FILE B_NBKUP769" 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 *NULL* 0 0 0 *NULL* 3603536 0 0 69212520 0 0 *NULL* *NULL* 0 0 0

but mu command is KO :

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpexpdate -recalculate -backup_id AC000769_1298685065 -ret 8

Why ? any suggestion please ;

Thanks

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

You were correct in startin a new post for your question.

and I answered it in the other pots.

no underscore for the -backup_id

shoul be

-backupid

Marianne

It would be nice if @JayDhillon gave us an update ??

JayDhillon
Level 4

Yes, i was able to use bpexpdate command to extend the expiration on the images.