cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change of device host name

keelin_hart
Level 4
Hello. We are currently standardising our NetBackup naming conventions. Here's what I've done for one of our media servers: created an alias in DNS to the new name, added this to the master's bp.conf, created a REQUIRED_INTERFACE entry in the media server's bp.conf, created REQUIRED_INTERFACE and DEVICE_HOST entries in its vm.conf, and restarted NBU services on both the media and master server. But the master server still does not see the new name as either a media server or device host. Any tips? I am probably missing something very obvious... Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

Stumpr2
Level 6
start at the beginning and test with bpclntcmd

How to verify name resolution for Veritas NetBackup (tm) systems, using the "bpclntcmd" command
http://support.veritas.com/docs/261393

Details:
The bpclntcmd utility resolves internet protocol (IP) addresses into host names and host names into IP addresses by using the same system calls as the NetBackup application software. The command that starts the utility is located in the install_path\NetBackup\bin directory. Run it in an MS-DOS command window so that the results can be seen.

Bpclntcmd options that are useful for testing the functionality of the host name and IP address resolution are -hn, -ip, and -pn. The following sections explain each of these options:

1. bpclntcmd -hn Hostname

The -hn option allows a host name to be specified. Bpclntcmd uses gethostbyname() on the NetBackup node to obtain the IP address associated with the host name defined in the node's Domain Name Service (DNS), Windows Internet Naming Service (WINS), or local hosts file entries.

The -ip and -hn options can be used to verify the ability of a NetBackup node to resolve the IP addresses and host names of other NetBackup nodes. For example, it is possible to verify whether or not a NetBackup server can connect to a client. In this case, the steps to be followed are:

On the NetBackup server, use bpclntcmd -hn to verify that the operating system can resolve the host name of the NetBackup client (as configured in the client list for the class) to an IP address. The IP address is then used in the node's routing tables to route a network message from the NetBackup server.

Example of successful response: Master server = master Client server = client
The command is run on master.
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin>bpclntcmd -hn client
host client: client.domain.com at 10.82.108.42 (0x846c520a)
checkhname: aliases:

2. bpclntcmd -ip IP_Address

The -ip option allows an IP address to be specified.

Bpclntcmd uses gethostbyaddr() on the NetBackup node and gethostbyaddr() returns the host name with the IP address as defined in the node's DNS, WINS or local hosts file entries.

On the NetBackup master server, use bpclntcmd -ip to verify that the operating system can resolve the IP address of the NetBackup client.

The command is run on master.
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin>bpclntcmd -ip 10.82.108.42
checkhaddr: host : client: client.domain.com at 10.82.108.42 (0x846c520a)
checkhaddr: aliases:

3. bpclntcmd -pn

When run on a NetBackup client, the -pn option initiates an inquiry to the NetBackup master server, and then the server returns information to the requesting client. First, bpclntcmd identifies the server to which it is making the request (current server in the server list), and then it displays the information that the server returns.

The Command is run on client.
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin>bpclntcmd -pn
expecting response from server master
client.domain.com client 10.82.108.42 1117

where:
"expecting response from server master" returns the master server entry from the server list on the client.
"client.domain.com client 10.82.108.42 1117" is the connection name (peername) returned by the master server. The master server obtained this name through "gethostbyaddr()"
Client is client name configured in the NetBackup class client list.
In this example, 10.82.108.42 is the IP address of the client connection and 1117 is the port number of the connection on the client.

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Verify the Client is communicating properly:

* bpclncmd -ip --> from both client and server
* bpclntcmd -hn --> from both client and server
* bpclntcmd -pn --> from client only
run bpcoverage -c clientname to verify connectivity.
run nslookup hostname and nslookup IP adress to verify dns is working.
insure the media servers name is in the client bp.conf
telnet to client to verify netbackup client telnet clientname bpcd
You can also ftp a large file from the client to the
media server to verify connectivity and speed.

keelin_hart
Level 4
Thanks for your responses. But communications between the master and media server are fine, its just that its still resolving to the 'old' hostname, despite the actions in my initial post.

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Are you using NB5 or 6?
Reason for asking is there's implication to those media assigned to "old" media server if you successfully "register" the "new" media server. You need to take care of the media assignment as any query on media (e.g. bpimmedia, etc) that assigned to old server may fail.

keelin_hart
Level 4
Hi Chia - good point! Though I imagine bp.conf entry FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER old_name new_name could work around this. We are using NBU5.1MP5.

Stumpr2
Level 6
> its still resolving to the 'old' hostname

Make sure that DNS cache is purged

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
ipconfig /flushdns on pc's
on solaris nscd -i hosts or stop then start the nscd daemon.
you may also want to clear the arp cache
windows I think arp -a works on soloaris I think arp -d *

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
> Hi Chia - good point! Though I imagine bp.conf entry
> FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER old_name new_name could
> work around this. We are using NBU5.1MP5.

FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER is applicable during restore. But if you've scripts or when you issue some NB commands it will still reference back to old server and will fail after timeout. You need to "move" the media to standalone then to new server. I suggest after you've confirmed successfully converted to new server, revert back to old server and move the associated media to standalone, convert to new server again and move the media to it.

Following technote give some good pointers of moving the associated media.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/230047
How to correctly decommission a NetBackup Media Server and remove it from the NetBackup environment

keelin_hart
Level 4
Thanks Chia. I reckon that will do the trick. Just need to find a window to do it in! ;o)

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Thanks for updating & the pts. :)