cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change storage unit to replication source

Gergely_B_
Level 3

Hi All, 

we have 2 netbackup domains (N4, N8) with 1-1 DataDomain attached to it. 

I'd like to setup Netbackup AIR between these two domains. is it possible to change the currently used storage units mode to replication source? or do i have to create new storage units? 

On datadomain the ddboost assoc. is setup, but netbackup is not accepting the new SLP, saying the STU is not capable to replicate from.

sysadmin@ N4# ddboost association show all
Local Storage Unit   Direction      Remote Host                    Remote Storage Unit
------------------   ------------   ----------------------------   -------------------
mssql                replicate-to   N8                             mssql_N4
------------------   ------------   ----------------------------   -------------------

sysadmin@ N8# ddboost association show all                                                
Local Storage Unit   Direction        Remote Host                    Remote Storage Unit
------------------   --------------   ----------------------------   -------------------
mssql_N4             replicate-from   N4                             mssql
------------------   --------------   ----------------------------   -------------------

thanks 

Gergely

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Pritesh_Pisal
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Not sure about what you are trying but For NBU AIR with Data Domain Systems, the storage-unit DD Boost associations between Data Domain Systems must be setup prior to configuring NetBackup disk pools or NetBackup Storage Units. 

Take a look at this best practice guide

http://india.emc.com/collateral/software/white-papers/h7296-data-domain-boost-openstorage-wp.pdf

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Have you confirmed that your DDOS and plugin versions support AIR? If you search this forum for AIR config with DD, you will find an excellent post with step-by-step instructions.

Pritesh_Pisal
Level 5
Partner Accredited

As suggested by Marianne you need to check for supported version od DDOS, DDboost plugin and 

NBU AIR is working with NBU 7.6 and DDBoost 2.6 plugin..

You have to create association on DD before creating Disk pools and STU in NetBackup.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I found it: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/step-step-guide-air-datadomain

Gergely_B_
Level 3

thanks for your feedbacks.

I've read the posts Marianne linked. Forgot to mention that I've tried with newly created MTREEs and it worked beautifully. I'd like to use AIR with existing MTREE/disk pool/STU where I have not set up replication source in Netbackup. 

Could this be a solution:

Create "ddboost1" MTREE on DD

fastcopy existing MTREE "ddboost" to "ddboost1"

add "ddboost1" to netbackup disk pool and STU now with replication source

thanks

Gergely

Pritesh_Pisal
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Not sure about what you are trying but For NBU AIR with Data Domain Systems, the storage-unit DD Boost associations between Data Domain Systems must be setup prior to configuring NetBackup disk pools or NetBackup Storage Units. 

Take a look at this best practice guide

http://india.emc.com/collateral/software/white-papers/h7296-data-domain-boost-openstorage-wp.pdf

Pritesh_Pisal
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I think what you are trying will not work coz once you create an association on DD you will see that volume as a Replication source or Replication target while configuring Disk pool on source and target Netbackup.

if this is not set properly, your replication may not work and somehow if it worked then your Import job will not trigger on destination automatically.

looking at steps you are trying I would like to add one more step here

Could this be a solution:

Create "ddboost1" MTREE on DD

fastcopy existing MTREE "ddboost" to "ddboost1"

create assocation of ddboost1 STU with target master STU

add "ddboost1" to netbackup disk pool and STU now with replication source

but still how netbackup will triggered the Replication for the existing images which you have copied from ddboost STU, if they are not associated with Replication SLPs? I think AIR wont work in this case.