cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing IP address of netbackup server

Charles1
Level 3

Hi we have gone ahead and change the IP address of our netbackup server in our lab. We had an 140.140.x.x address and wew have changed it to a 10.10.x.x address. Everything appears to work well.  Our production server is still at the the 140.140.x.x address. I have tried to bring back the catalogue from production to the lab. It did not work. It complains that the server is not the 140.140.x.x. address.  Is there a way to restore the catalogue on the lab server which as a diff IP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

What Operating system and Netbackup version is the production and DR servers?

NetBackup does not work at an IP level. It works at a hostname level and lets the OS do the translation to IP. So you are not tied to the IP address, just the hostname.

On your production server do you have any IP's configured in EMM?

Run: 

nbemmcmd -listhosts

nbemmcmd -machinealias -getalias -machinename <master_hostname> -machinetype master

Post the output. Also could you get a screen capture of the error you see and post it here too?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

What Operating system and Netbackup version is the production and DR servers?

NetBackup does not work at an IP level. It works at a hostname level and lets the OS do the translation to IP. So you are not tied to the IP address, just the hostname.

On your production server do you have any IP's configured in EMM?

Run: 

nbemmcmd -listhosts

nbemmcmd -machinealias -getalias -machinename <master_hostname> -machinetype master

Post the output. Also could you get a screen capture of the error you see and post it here too?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Excellent idea - revaroo.

I'm thinking that there could be an IP address in EMM as an alias.

This would be wrong, EMM should not under any circumstances contain IP address as aliases.

(1)

Given that very often the netbackup DR server is at a DR location, the chances are very high that here could be a different network address - therefore it would be ilogical to have a restriction on the ip adress.

(2)

I've recovered the catalog to a machine with a different IP address (as have many people here ) - it works fine.

Martin