cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing a robot from one media server to other

arunkumar_dadi
Level 4

I Have netbackup master server which have two media servers. one of my media server was down now. now i want to assign that robot to another media server because we have only one robot in tape library how i can do this task.

my master server and media server is installed in windows 2012 server os.

while i am trying to do that task i am getting an error which i have added here.

my primary media server was down which the robot is connected. my secondary media server is active now now when i am trying to remove robot from primary media server from using master server i am receiving following error.

please suggest me a way to resolve this, is there any pre requisites neededbefore removing a robot.

Captureerr.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Volume configuration is stored on the master server.

Probably a good idea to move current robotic volumes Standalone (non-robotic) before you delete devices for down media server.

Simply inventory robot after you have re-added robot on new media server.

Volume groups (volume location) should be the same as before and volume pools will not change.

PS:

You first posted this issue on 12 April.
Today is 18 April. 
Does this mean that you have not had robot control in the environment for almost a week?
How have you been doing backups?

When an issue becomes urgent, it is always a good idea to log a Support call with Veritas for assistance.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

For removing the robot just answer No when asked if want to restart the Media services on the down media server as it is not possible.

Add the robot physically to the other media server and installed the needed drivers

Add configure storage devices, unchecking the down media server if it shows up

Move your media to the new server in the database (There is technote called something like move media/tapes to new media server)

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

arunkumar_dadi
Level 4

Hi Michael

actuallly i have two media servers which are configured already, but my tape library robot is connected to one of those media servers. now the media server whcih is having connection with robot is down.now i want to add this robot to another media server which is online. how i can remove the robot without affecting the volumes and volume groups to add it to another media sever.

arunkumar_dadi
Level 4

can i use/add one robot for two media server, for redundancy if one media server goes down i can access the tape library from other media server.

Marianne
Level 6
You cannot add the same robot to more than one media server. There can only be one robot control host. To delete devices belonging to down media server, use this command: nbemmcmd -deletealldevices -machinename 'server_name' -machinetype media See: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000043901 Best to delete (remote) robot from all media servers and then rerun Device Config wizard.

arunkumar_dadi
Level 4

Hi Marianne

Can you please suggest us how to remove robot from one media server Using GUI console and how to connect it to another media server. Does removing of robot will need any prerequisites or does it effect any of the volumes and volume groups which are already created. i just want to chnage the robot control host without delteing volume groups or volumes.

Marianne
Level 6
If the media server is not online, then you cannot use the GUI. Only command line that I have shared above will work. You can then use the GUI to add it on another media server.

arunkumar_dadi
Level 4

ok  thank you. removing of a robot will effect the volume configurations. or i can make use of same volume groups in the new server where i  have added the robot.

Marianne
Level 6

Volume configuration is stored on the master server.

Probably a good idea to move current robotic volumes Standalone (non-robotic) before you delete devices for down media server.

Simply inventory robot after you have re-added robot on new media server.

Volume groups (volume location) should be the same as before and volume pools will not change.

PS:

You first posted this issue on 12 April.
Today is 18 April. 
Does this mean that you have not had robot control in the environment for almost a week?
How have you been doing backups?

When an issue becomes urgent, it is always a good idea to log a Support call with Veritas for assistance.

arunkumar_dadi
Level 4

Thank you so much Marianne. Actually the thing is our media server is going down and after we are resatarting the server, it will be fine for few days that is why we didn't raised and call with support. mean while we are taking backup suing same media server.