cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client cannot be connected via client host properties pane in netbackup gui.

nbuno
Level 6

HI Guys,

Let me give you a scenario.

I have a unix 6.5.6 NBU master server which has two NIC on it and respective these two interfaces it has two names assign to it..lets say x and x-backup.

Now when i install netbackup client on a windows box by just giving master server name as x-backup and other media servers  the backup runs fine however client cannot be connected via client host properties pane in netbackup gui.

However,if i add master server name x into the server list of client,it gets connected !

Does that mean that NBU is initially communicating with the client via x irrespective of the fact that i want NBU to purely use x-backup interface. ?

I guess due to this the network x is unnecessarily coming into picture while i have a dedicated x-backup nic to take the backup.Is there some way this undesired n/w can be taken out ? not even for a single communication ? I was thinking of using REQUIRED_INTERFACE but that will be following later coz atleast one try it will make to connect via x only..

any suggestions on how can i use just x-backup to connect to my client and take backup as well without being interfered by other interfaces ???

let me know if i can explain it more !!

thanks in advance !!!

8 REPLIES 8

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I assume that you have registered this client with host name that master server connect to using x nic. Check host name, name resolution, and network routing from master server to this client.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You can force the master to only talk over the x-backup with the required interface setting. If you dont want to use it right now, you'll need to guide the master in talking over your x-backup NIC.

To do that you'll need to make sure the name resolution is configured so that is does not have any choices. In your hosts files on the master, configure the clients name using the x network IP.

if you dont do this the master will connect to the client over the regular IP, the client will receive this communication, and becuase the client will see this regular IP, which it could possible resolve to the regular name, it wont respond because it does know this regular master server name as the one that it belongs to.

Basically, make sure your hosts files look like this

On the client

10.0.0.x x-client

192.168.0.x client (doesn't need to be included.....)

On the master

10.0.0.x x-backup

192.168.0.x backup (doesn't need to be included......)

So from the client if you ping/nslookup master, you receive 10.0.0.x

and from the master, you receieve 10.0.0.x

If you have dns configured make sure you set it up to get the same results, and make sure there is a route on both servers for the 10 network.

nbuno
Level 6

Hi Yasuhisa,

when u say "registered"..what does that mean ? apart from making the entries in host files is there something from n/w side also where we can relate interface and client names ?Also,what sort of n/w routing are you pointing it here ?..just a FYI,master -media-client and vice-versa are pinging perfectly from each other..

Hello Riaan,

some key points about my issue.

a)we have dns for public n/w but not for backup one.

b )even if i have 10.x entry in my master/media/client hosts files then also without making an entry of 13.x n/w my client doesn't get connected via client host properties pane in netbackup gui.

i have noticed two imperative things for its to get connected..1)master server's 13.x entry in client etc/host & 2)master server's name included in additional server list of client.

anything to share pls..

thanks

nbuno
Level 6

also,when the backup runs,on the master sevrer column of activity monitor,the master server name is what its configured for 13.x not for what is configured for 10.x ..means master not master-backup.

is is like first connection from master always go via public n/w or something or there is some involvement of java in it and that is supported by port on public ??

m just guessing bcoz i have seen backups running fine even if the client doesn't get connected via client host properties pane in netbackup gui.

i m kinda confuse...help :(

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Ok so I think we'll need some more information.

When you installed the master server, which name did you use? (backup or normal network)

What are the clients listed as in your policies? (backup or normal network)

When you configured your storage units, which name did you use? (backup or normal network)

Are there media servers, or do you have a master/media? (master that does backups to disk/tape)

nbuno
Level 6

Here are the replies :

When you installed the master server, which name did you use? (backup or normal network)---->Backup Master server name

What are the clients listed as in your policies? (backup or normal network)--->Client is also configured on backup 

When you configured your storage units, which name did you use? (backup or normal network)--->storage units also has backup n/w and that's what i am using here.

Are there media servers, or do you have a master/media? (master that does backups to disk/tape)--->i have media server seperate and master server seperate.

nbuno
Level 6

Guys,

is it possible that this may be due to the fact that i don't have the entry of master-backup interface at some other place on master server than /etc/host files of it ?

if thats correct then where else i can make the enrties and how ???

RiaanBadenhorst

Ok, you'll need to set the specified network interface as shown in the admin guides. The existence of the master server name from the regular network in the client's server list would allow you to browse them, but i'd rather stick with this setting. It ensures all backup/restore ops go over the backup network (which is what you installed it for)

This explains it........

Use specified network interface

The Use specified network interface property specifies the network interface that NetBackup uses to connect to another NetBackup client or server. A NetBackup client or server can have more than one network interface. To force NetBackup connections to be made on a specific network interface, use this entry to specify the network host name of that interface. By default, the operating system determines the one to use.

Example 1 - client with multiple network interfaces.

Assume a NetBackup client with two network interfaces: One network interface is for the regular network. The host name for the

regular interface is fred. One network interface is for the backup network. The host name for the

backup interface is fred_nb. The NetBackup client name setting on both the client and server is fred_nb.

When client fred starts a backup, restore, or list operation, the request goes out on the fred_nb interface and over the backup network. The operation assumes that fred and the network are set up to do so. If this configuration is not in place, fred can send out the request on the fred interface and over the regular network. The server receives the request from client fred_nb with host name fred and refuses it because the host and the client names do not match.

One solution is to set Use specified network interface on fred to fred_nb. All backup, restore, and list requests use the fred_nb interface. The server receives requests from client fred_nb with host name fred_nb and everything works as intended.

Another solution is to set up the master server to allow redirected restores for client fred. Redirected restores allow the server to accept the request, but leaves NetBackup traffic on the regular network.

Example 2 - server with multiple network interfaces.

Assume a NetBackup server with two network interfaces: One network interface is for the regular network. The host name for the

regular interface is barney. One network interface is for the backup network The host name for the

backup interface is barney_nb The server list on all NetBackup servers and clients have an entry for barney_nb.

When barney connects to a client for a backup, the request goes out on the barney_nb interface and over the backup network. The operation assumes that barney and the network are set up to do so. If this configuration is not in place, barney can send out the request on the barney interface and over the regular network. The client now receives the request from barney rather than barney_nb and refuses it as coming from an invalid server.

One solution is to set Use specified network interface on barney to barney_nb. Now, when barney connects to a client, the connection is always through the barney_nb interface and everything works as intended.

Another solution is to add an entry for barney to the server list on the client. The client now accepts requests from barney, but NetBackup traffic continues on the regular network.