cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client hostname could not be found

MJS
Level 2
Certified

Environment: Windows Server 2003 64 bit.

Issue 1:
Last week I removed a server from my network and Active Directory

I then Opened Netbackup, Netbackup management, Policies and selected my taget policy.
In the policy, I selected the clientname that I had removed from the network, right-clicked and selected delete.

I then opened Host Properites, Clients and found the client in the client list.

A week later I am still getting an error each morning

Status of Backups reports:
Client not found

Problem Reports:
bpcd on <cleint> exited with status 48: client hostname could not be found.

Issue 2:

I add a cross domain (2-way trust) client to a policy.and the Host Properties Clients

I can connect to the cross domain client.

In the last 5 days, the cross domain client has not been reported as being backed up.

Any assistance would be helpful.

MJS
7 REPLIES 7

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Issue 1: If you deleted client from target policy & said client is still in Host Properties/Clients list then that would suggest that this client also appears in another policy?

Issue 2: No errors reported? Can you initiate a backup manually?

Stumpr2
Level 6
I had the problem where I would delete a client completely from Netbackup and still the bugger would not take a hint and leave. It staid somewhere in netbackup like a ghost and continued to fail backups until I restarted the netbackup services. I have not seen this in 6.5.3.1 but I have not tried to replicate the problem since the last upgrade.

Seriously, I think the clientname was stuck in a backup table somewhere.

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
Select Summary of all policies and Find the client, which you have removed. it will give the details in which policy it is still there. then you can go that policy and delete the client.

check this and let me know.

Shashank
Level 4
Hi

Can u check host entries for that client.

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
Log:

verify_client: bpbrm.c.32914: Could not find a host name for DHCP client: <client_name>

Answer:

3. By running bpclient -client <client_name> -delete. If the client directory is not empty, the directory may be renamed to eliminate any data corruption as the cause of the issue.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303279.htm

rlakey
Not applicable
The restart of NetBackup services on the client resolved error=48.  Please note, my issue did not involve a client that we were trying to delete.

Regards,
Rochelle Lakey

badri
Level 3
to delete any client you should always delete the client from the policy and it will automatically delete the client from the host property in client list.
the error you were getting because you since the client didn't exist anymore and and you probably had not deleted the client from policy so whenever the policy started it searched for the client which didn't exist.