cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client install error - red hat release 9

lovethatcheese
Level 5

Trying to install to a Red Hat client (red hat release 9 shrike)

The first time I tried to decompress the 7.4 client files, it completed but with errors and generated an install file with 0 bytes. Figured I would try to decompress again and make some sense of any error, and this is what I got:

[root@fldhcp NB]# gzip -dc NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS.tar.gz | tar xvf -

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/catalog/

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/catalog/anb/

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/catalog/anb/client.inst

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/INTEL/

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/INTEL/FreeBSD6.0/

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/INTEL/FreeBSD6.0/client_config

tar: NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/INTEL/FreeBSD6.0/client_config: Wrote only 1024 of 10240 bytes

tar: Skipping to next header

tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/INTEL/FreeBSD6.0/extract_java

tar: NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/INTEL/FreeBSD6.0/extract_java: Wrote only 0 of 10240 bytes

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/INTEL/FreeBSD6.0/ftp_to_client

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/INTEL/FreeBSD6.0/sftp_to_client

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/INTEL/FreeBSD6.0/ssh_to_client

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/INTEL/FreeBSD6.0/move_libs

tar: NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/INTEL/FreeBSD6.0/move_libs: Wrote only 0 of 10240 bytes

NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/INTEL/FreeBSD6.0/installpbx

tar: NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/INTEL/FreeBSD6.0/installpbx: Wrote only 0 of 10240 bytes

tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

[root@fldhcp NB]# uname -a

Linux fldhcp 2.4.20-8smp #1 SMP Thu Mar 13 17:45:54 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

[root@fldhcp NB]# 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

32-bit OS on Linux Client?

Not supported. Only 64-bit Linux clients are supported. Red hat release 9 shrike is also VERY old. I cannot even tell you when last did any NBU version support this OS.

Please ask system owners to upgrade to supported 64-bit platform and OS.

Please see NBU OS SCL: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648 

PS:
Seems NBU 5.0 was the last version to support this OS.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Vickie
Level 6

check if sufficient space is availble on the location where you trying to un-zip and un-tar the binaries.

Or

Seems to be an issue with your binaries, try to get a fresh copy and then try once again. 

Marianne
Level 6

32-bit OS on Linux Client?

Not supported. Only 64-bit Linux clients are supported. Red hat release 9 shrike is also VERY old. I cannot even tell you when last did any NBU version support this OS.

Please ask system owners to upgrade to supported 64-bit platform and OS.

Please see NBU OS SCL: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648 

PS:
Seems NBU 5.0 was the last version to support this OS.

lovethatcheese
Level 5

Marianne,

Hello there. I am in a situation where we have some obviously old operating systems with....delicate scripts in production. Updating the OS could very well kill the dependencies and is not encouraged at this stage (although its coming fast)..

My question is, if I have a 7.5 master and a 7.0 master available to me, is there any way to get red hat 9 or fedora core 1 backing up to these masters? 

If not NB, would you point me to an alternative? I know its not the best approach, but just want to put a band-aid over a large, puss filled scar, if that makes sense.

Marianne
Level 6

You should be able to NFS mount the filesystems of these unsupported machines on a Unix/Linux client or server that is supported.

Backup these NFS mountpoints with a separate policy with 'Follow NFS' selected. 

The other option is to use OS commands on unsupported machine such as tar or cpio to write backups to a network share on a supported server/client that can be backed up with normal Standard policy.