cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client restore problem NBU 7.0.1

JNO_123
Level 4

Hi,

Have a strange behavior in our environment.

During restore Netbackup choose wrong (in my opinon) Mediaserver.

excertp from activitymonitor:

granted resource MediaID=@aaaa6;DiskVolume=PureDiskVolume;DiskPool=lokalmedia-diskpool1;Path=PureDiskVolume;StorageSe...

lokalmedia is located on same site as client and localmedia own the Diskresuorce aaaa6,
and remotemedia is located at differentsite.

The restore will work if remotemedia is listed as a server in the clients properties.

Is there a way to controll this behavior? or is it a config error?

Regards
Jonas

Master: Win 2008R2 NBU 7.0.1
Media: Win 2008R2 NBU 7.0.1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JNO_123
Level 4

Got same problem again, so I contacted support.

After a while we found out that this is by design.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/332233

So we added the server we wanted to do the restore: at Media Host Override in host prop, on Masterserver.

see pic.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can configure a required server for restore operation.  The option are called PrefRestore, ReqRestore & ReqDuplicate.

See http://www.symantec.com/business/support/resources/sites/BUSINESS/content/live/TECHNICAL_SOLUTION/127000/TECH127070/en_US/340114.pdf page 25.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The image is owned by the media server that performed the backup.

The restore is automatically assigned to the media server that owns the image.

JNO_123
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

That is exactly what I expect, but as I mentioned above this is not happening.
All images from client we has tested is owned by mediaserver called lokalmedia

Today we tried to restore the exact image, and viola it worked.
but now it has the "correct" mediaserver:

granted resource MediaID=@aaaa6;DiskVolume=PureDiskVolume;DiskPool=lokalmedia-diskpool1;Path=PureDiskVolume;StorageSe...

We did the restore in exact the same way. This is not the first time we seen this.

Changing to "pref restore option" is not a way to solve this problem.
I would expect that the restore is done from MediaServer that own the media,

Jonas

Amit_Karia
Level 6

By any chanance do u vault your images?

and if that goes to different media server and configured as primary copy. by default while restoring nbu will select media server which is owning primary copy.There is a remote chance of that happening, but worth checking it 

Marianne

Please open a Support call.

If you don't have all the logs that Support will need, you will probably have to create the logs, increase logging levels and repeat the exercise. Hopefully the problem will repeat itself.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I think this is expected behaviour when we have a storage unit that can be concurrent accessed by multiple servers. Recall the the storageunit definition saying "use any avaiable media server" and "only use the following media servers".

Amit_Karia
Level 6

Hi Nicolai

I think u meant storage unit group,Can a single storage unit be accessed by multiple media servers?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I would say yes to your'e question. Advanceddisk with cluster file system on top can be access simultaneous so why not puredisk.

See this picture, how do you're configuration look like ?. Since I am not sharing any volumes each must have exclusive access.

Marianne

We are experiencing the exact same issue right now....

DataDomain OST stu where a number of media servers are assigned ownership.

Backup went to MediaServer1 - I can even see in the Image header file that the image is owned by MediaServer1.

1st Restore request went to a total different media server - the 5th one in the list specified in stu media server list. Restore failed.

Kicked off restore again - this time restore request was sent to MediaServer1 and completed successfully.

This is not the behaviour we expect or require. Maybe I'm missing something because I am new to OST backups... I need to dig into the manuals to see if we're doing something wrong, else log a call with Symantec.

Jonas, have you perhaps logged a call yet??

JNO_123
Level 4

No I have not logged any case, unfortunately we have not seen this problem again.

I will log a case when we see it.

Jonas

JNO_123
Level 4

Got same problem again, so I contacted support.

After a while we found out that this is by design.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/332233

So we added the server we wanted to do the restore: at Media Host Override in host prop, on Masterserver.

see pic.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Thanks for posting the result. Nice to know smiley