cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

complete recovery of windows server - couple of doubts

data-backup
Level 4

Hi,

I'm attempting a full system restore of a windows 2008 server (client A) to another windows 2008 server (client B). I'm following the below mentioned Technote as a reference. However I have couple of questions.

1. While restoring should I be selecting "Restore everything to its original location" & "overwrite existing files" in the restore "general" option menu with client B selected as the Destination client

2. Assuming I would be overwriting the data on the destination server (client B) drives and most likely the netbackup installation folder. If needed will I be able to retry the restore second time if its fails midway or completes with status code1.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56473

Netbackup Master & Media server - Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise - Netbackup 7.5.0.6

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Are these servers using the same hadware (RAID, network etc.) because if not the restore probably will not work and the server will be unbootable - usually for such a restore you should use BMR when possible

If they are identical then yes, select original location and overwrite as the system state / shadowcopy components will also have to be overwritten

Once carried out it will need a reboot to apply all of the new files but it is possible that if it fails very late on it could become unstable and unusable and you would have to start again with a fresh build

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Are these servers using the same hadware (RAID, network etc.) because if not the restore probably will not work and the server will be unbootable - usually for such a restore you should use BMR when possible

If they are identical then yes, select original location and overwrite as the system state / shadowcopy components will also have to be overwritten

Once carried out it will need a reboot to apply all of the new files but it is possible that if it fails very late on it could become unstable and unusable and you would have to start again with a fresh build

data-backup
Level 4

Thanks Mark. Both servers are virtual machines (agent based backups) with identical config. The OS is same along with the patches.

I'l follow the steps and hopefully things will go as planned.

As to the BMR, I'm testing it so that we can implement it in our production enviroment. However I have hit a bump with the test restore and my next post of the forum would be to seek help on BMR restore.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If it is a VM you really should be doing Vmware backups - makes restores really easy for virtual machines!

Yogesh_Jadhav1
Level 5

Before you restore as a safe procedure take the snapshot of the VMware sever. And moreover the hostname will change which you will have to rename once server is rebooted. Make a note of this.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Theres a couple of useful videos for BMR. For  VMs I would be leaning towards a VM oriented method as Mark mentions above.

Jim

data-backup
Level 4

We have some vm's performing flashbackups and some still doing the agent based. Not sure why.

Mark I need some help with the restore. I am doing two sets of restores, Client A to Client B and Client X to Client Y.

1st Restore : -

system state & E drive completed with status code 0 but C drive completed with status code 1. Should I rertry C drive again or go ahead with the reboot.

2nd Restore :-

C & E drive completed with status code 0 however system state completed with status code. hould I rertry system state again or go ahead with the reboot.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Need to see the restore logs - most likely both just reporting that a reboot is needed but without seeing the actual logs i cannot say

data-backup
Level 4

tar logs?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The logs from where ever you ran the restore from - \logs\user_ops\***

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am surprised that you ask about tar logs. The technote that you have found contains step-by-step procedures, including log folders in step 4.

Start again and follow each step carefully. You cannot miss ANY of the steps. 

data-backup
Level 4

Both servers were successfully restored and recovered.Thanks Mark and everyone else for taking time to respond to my query. The help is much appreciated.