cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

configuration of quantum DXI7500 VTL @ netbackup 7.1

NBU35
Level 6

Hi

can anybody help me to know how to configure tape media and tape drives in DXI7500 VTL and how to use them at netbackup end.

Thanx in Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

On Solaris, first of all check contents of /dev/rmt.

# cd /dev/rmt
# ls -l *cbn

Count number of entries in output (ls -l *cbn |wc -l)  - does that correspond with number of drives that have been zoned to the server?
If not, run 'devfsadm -Cv', followed by another 'ls -l'. If not correct, we can supply more OS-related commands to check for SAN-connected devices.
(e.g.  'cfgadm -al -o show_FCP_dev' , 'cfgadm -c configure c#')

If OS sees all devices, check if NBU can see them with '/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/sgscan'.
Chances are that it won't see any or not all of them. In that case, you need to rebuild the sg driver.

First step is to carefully check output of 'ls -l' output of /dev/rmt. VTL devices are normally all configured on a single target with lots of luns. By default, the sg drives only caters for lun 0 and 1.

See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH10725 for examples how to determine number of targets (to be used with -mt) and number of luns (-ml) . Another TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH71073

Next, do the following to rebuild the sg driver:

# cd /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver
# /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/sg.build all -mt # -ml #

Install the new sg driver configuration:

# /usr/bin/rm -f /kernel/drv/sg.conf
# /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver/sg.install

Check/verify config:

# /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/sgscan

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Champ35, you would need to speak to the VTL vendor on how to set-up the VTL with drives, once presented to the OS as drives you can then configure with NetBackup.

Marianne

PLEASE tell us the OS on your master and media servers, how VTL is connected to your server(s), if zoning and assignment of virtual tape drives to server(s) has been done yet, if devices are visible from OS level.

NBU config is no different to config of physical tape library:
Do whatever your VTL documentation is telling you to do (your Quantum reseller should really be onsite to assist), then ensure devices are visible/usable at OS level as Medium changer and tape drives (Windows media servers will need tape drivers), then run NBU device wizard to scan and add devices.

NBU35
Level 6

Hey Marianne, thanks a lot for the information, you always been helpfull to us.

Here I dont have to configure the VTL. Now I am working in a new netbackup environment, where we have Quantum DXI 7500 VTL, so I wanted to know its configuration with netbackup. I really dont have any idea about the " how VTL is connected to our server(s), if zoning and assignment of virtual tape drives to server(s) has been done yet, if devices are visible from OS level."

It will be very helpfull if you can let me know how check all this.

Regarding OS part, OS on master & media server  SOLARIS 10.

Thanks in Advance....

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi, beside configuration I think you should have proper NBU license to use the VTL. As far as I know, you need Enterprise Disk Option or a Terabyte plateform license.

If you plan using DXi as OST device, you will need Dedup Option / Add-on (Optimization Option fro NetBackup 7.5).

Regards

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

You need to speak with your VTL vendor about setting the VTL up and presenting it to the OS.

This is a NetBackup forum, configuration of VTL to an OS is not a NetBackup function.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

"Here I dont have to configure the VTL. Now I am working in a new netbackup environment, where we have Quantum DXI 7500 VTL, so I wanted to know its configuration with netbackup. I really dont have any idea about the " how VTL is connected to our server(s), if zoning and assignment of virtual tape drives to server(s) has been done yet, if devices are visible from OS level."

It will be very helpfull if you can let me know how check all this.

Regarding OS part, OS on master & media server  SOLARIS 10."

Run cfgadm -al  do you see tape devices ?

If not, run

cfgadm -al -o show_FCP_dev

If you do not see tape devices, speak with your san team to get the library hooked up and vsible/ and or Quantum to configure the VTL.

martin

Marianne

On Solaris, first of all check contents of /dev/rmt.

# cd /dev/rmt
# ls -l *cbn

Count number of entries in output (ls -l *cbn |wc -l)  - does that correspond with number of drives that have been zoned to the server?
If not, run 'devfsadm -Cv', followed by another 'ls -l'. If not correct, we can supply more OS-related commands to check for SAN-connected devices.
(e.g.  'cfgadm -al -o show_FCP_dev' , 'cfgadm -c configure c#')

If OS sees all devices, check if NBU can see them with '/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/sgscan'.
Chances are that it won't see any or not all of them. In that case, you need to rebuild the sg driver.

First step is to carefully check output of 'ls -l' output of /dev/rmt. VTL devices are normally all configured on a single target with lots of luns. By default, the sg drives only caters for lun 0 and 1.

See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH10725 for examples how to determine number of targets (to be used with -mt) and number of luns (-ml) . Another TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH71073

Next, do the following to rebuild the sg driver:

# cd /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver
# /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/sg.build all -mt # -ml #

Install the new sg driver configuration:

# /usr/bin/rm -f /kernel/drv/sg.conf
# /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver/sg.install

Check/verify config:

# /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/sgscan

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Adding onto Mariannes exceptional post ...

If in the cfgadm commands you see the tape drives listed like this using WWNs:

c3::2103000d77640cc8,1         tape         connected    configured   unknown

Do NOT use /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/sg.build all -mt # -ml #

(The reason is that most configs now re done via WWNs, not tagets /luns.  Therefore, you do not want to be creating entries in sg.conf /links based on target / lus taht are not needed.

All you should need to do is ...

cd /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver
../sg.build all
mv /kernel/drv/sg.conf /kernel/drv/sg.conf.old
modunload -i $(echo $(modinfo |grep "sg (SCSA" |awk '{print $1}'))
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver/sg.install

Martin

Marianne

Hi Martin

I have assisted very recently with conguring devices for VTL's. They are normally added with one target and lots of luns (one lun per virtual drive). Without '-ml #', sg.build will only add lun 0 and 1.

Best to have output of 'ls -l *cbn' of /dev/rmt and decide on sg.build parameters based on the output.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Ahh, ok, ...  thanks for explaining that  ...

In that case use this ...

cd /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver
../sg.build all -mt # -ml #     ** See note
mv /kernel/drv/sg.conf /kernel/drv/sg.conf.old
modunload -i $(echo $(modinfo |grep "sg (SCSA" |awk '{print $1}'))
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver/sg.install

NOTE: 

Work out the values  from ls -al /dev/rm/*cbn

Example

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          71 Feb 21 12:28 /dev/rmt/0cbn -> ../../devices/pci@1e,600000/pci@0/pci@9/pci@0,2/pci@1/scsi@2/st@5,0:cbn

Here we look at the end part of the line ...

@5,0:cbn

This is target = 5 lun =0

Look for the highest target number and highest lun number.  Use these values in the command.

Now for the tricky part.

In my example have only one drive, and it is as above, tar 5 lun 0 

So I run , sg.build all -mt 5 -ml 0

This creates a sg.conf/ links file like this :

name="sg" class="scsi" target=0 lun=0;
name="sg" class="scsi" target=1 lun=0;
name="sg" class="scsi" target=2 lun=0;
name="sg" class="scsi" target=3 lun=0;
name="sg" class="scsi" target=4 lun=0;
name="sg" class="scsi" target=5 lun=0;

type=ddi_pseudo;name=sg;addr=0,0;       sg/c\N0t0l0
type=ddi_pseudo;name=sg;addr=1,0;       sg/c\N0t1l0
type=ddi_pseudo;name=sg;addr=2,0;       sg/c\N0t2l0
type=ddi_pseudo;name=sg;addr=3,0;       sg/c\N0t3l0
type=ddi_pseudo;name=sg;addr=4,0;       sg/c\N0t4l0
type=ddi_pseudo;name=sg;addr=5,0;       sg/c\N0t5l0

Here you see the problem, I only have one device, but I have 6 devices in the files ....  not good.

So the trick is to edit the .conf /.links files and remove the lines that are not needed.

Martin

NBU35
Level 6

thanks all, you all have provided very helpfull information, i will try to dig it up more and if i got something, i will try to post that here, so keeping this post open till then.

onc3e again thanks..