cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

configure SLP for duplication on tape

puneet102
Level 4

I am using Veritas NetBackup 7.7.3. I have configure SLP for duplication on tape. We are making three copy of my monthly backup. Primary on DataDomain, 2nd and 3rd on Tape. My queries are:

• How duplication will start (After completing backup job, both duplication (copy2 & copy3) will start simultaniously or copy3 will start after completing copy2)?
  • As I saw in my environment that both copies are starting simultaniously so that case what is the recommandation for getting better performance?
  • Can we make change so that copy3 will start after completing copy2? If yes please help me with the process.

Thanks
Puneet Dixit
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Alexis_Jeldrez
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
  • Depends on how you configured the SLP.
  • Depends on your environment. If you have enough resources try doing both simultaneously. If the DataDomain is too overloaded then make the second duplication to use the tape as source.
  • Yes, just assign the second Duplication so it depends from the previous duplication. Picture related.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Alexis_Jeldrez
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
  • Depends on how you configured the SLP.
  • Depends on your environment. If you have enough resources try doing both simultaneously. If the DataDomain is too overloaded then make the second duplication to use the tape as source.
  • Yes, just assign the second Duplication so it depends from the previous duplication. Picture related.

Genericus
   VIP   

SLP are nicely customizable, so you can set it up to do however you want. there are benefits and advantages to the process each way.

You have to determine how urgent these copies are, and how much resources you have. 

I vault my tapes to iron mountain every day, my duplications copy from my data domain almost immmediately. I want them on tape as soon as possible. This impacts the efficiency of my data domain, if my backups ran from midnight to 0400, then no more backups, and I could make copies starting after 0400, it would increase the throughput. What is the path from tape to tape, versus data domain to tape - there are so many variables.

When you set up the duplications within the SLP, you choose which copy is the source, so the second and third copy can be done at once, from the data domain, or you could make one copy and then copy that tape. 

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS