Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

configure netbackup 7 with HP VLS solution

mumair109917
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi All,

can any one help me out to configure HP VLS with netbackup how to configure VLS in netbackup and how please do let me know that do i have to buy some other netbackup licenses to configure VLS????

5 REPLIES 5

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You configure a VTL in Netbackup, exactly the same as a real library.  Netbackup knows no difference.

The simple version :

1.  Physically connect everything up

2.  Prove that the operaing system can correctly see the 'robot' and 'tape drives'

3.  Run the NetBackup Device Wizard

(Note, until you get to step 3, any issues are outside of NetBackup)

The more complex version :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3656

Martin

sksujeet
Level 6

Please specify the version of HP VLS and Netbackup. Is this initial configuration or you already have a setup existing.

HP VLS is a virtual tape library with integrated dedup, you can configure the library and drives within it and once you are able to see it in the windows device manager you can run the Configure Storage devices within netbackup or can be done directly.

Depending upon the configuration if your existing setup contains fiber swtich then zoning also needs to be done for the library and drives.

mumair109917
Level 6

Hi, mph999

thanks for your kind reply, please confirm do i need to buy any license for VTL.

mumair109917
Level 6

sazz,

thanks for your swift reply.

i have already configured netbackup 7.0 with HP tape library now we are going to connect other HP VLS 9000 series.

so do i need any other license or not??

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need Enterprise Disk License.
Licensing is based on the amount of front-end data to be protected on source systems (front-end terabyte). A front-end terabyte is defined as the aggregate amount of data on the client machines measured as the current largest aggregate full.

Please read carefully through the Virtual Tape Libraries/Drives section starting on p. 34 of the NetBackup 7 Hardware Compatibility List (HCL):    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76495