cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

configure tape library with netbackup

mandar_shirsat
Level 2
Hi
I need some help as how to configure a tape library (L500) with veritas netbackup 5.1.

Thanks in advance.
Mandar
4 REPLIES 4

Vishal_Mehra
Level 3
Please refer to the Media Management manual for 5.1

Good Luck!

Martin_Falk
Level 3
My proposal would be to download the lastest device_mappings.txt from Veritas. Copy it to /Netbackup/share directory. Try to use the wizard. Usually this works fine if you have the lastest device_mappings.txt.

Mappings fro Windows:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268435.htm

Mappings for UNIX:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268435.htm

Regards

Martin

Stumpr2
Level 6
Strangely, I agree with Martin. I use tpconfig via the command line or text menu only because that is what I am comfortable with. I became comfortable with it because the wizards provided by VERITAS many times were not trustworthy. (Actually they didn't even exist when I started using bpbackup) The wizards have come a long way since then and if you are new to NetBackup then it is a good introduction. There is enough of a learning curve with the proper use of NetBackup that it will keep you busy. For now, use the wizard. Get NetBackup running. And then start learning. Enjoy!

Not applicable
Hya

If you decide to use the wizard, which is a good thing nowadays, you still might find limitations to it, this depending on the hardware.

If your library is not intelligent enough, which means : if it does not support serialization you would have additional work to do in or after the wizard.

When the wizard tells you it has discovered 1 library and x tape drive, you can then see a table with the last 2 columns : serialization / limitations.

If your library does not support serialization, then the drives show some limitations.

The limitations is : the wizard does not know which drive to configure on which bay in the lib.

But as the wiz did great job : found the lib, configured the lib, found the drives, configured the drives, the only missing thing might be the Robot Drive Number, or the position of the drive in the robot.

If you have only 1 drive, it's easy : it's the only 1st position drive.

If you have 2 and do not know anything about SCSI targets or bindings (if you work under a SAN configuration), well ... just make a try ! Then you'll test your configuration with robtest.

robtest (on the media server)
chose the lib : 1
s s (status of the slots)
(find a slot with a tape)
s d (status of the drives)
(find a drive without any tape)
m s1 d1 (assuming there is a tape in slot 1 and nothing in drive 1)
(wait untill the lib finished its move)
unload d1
m d1 s1

If your configuration is ok, you will not have any error message.

If you misconfigured the drives position, you'll get an error when unloading the drive !!!
Then try to unload the other drives !

In fact, the move : m s1 d1 talks to your configuration, whereas the unload d1 is a scsi command that directly talks to te drive.

If your configuration is bad, then from the GUI, you can modify the position of the drives in the lib, under the device management interface.
But if you have 2 drives, you would not be able to just switch them. You'll need to do a permutation from 1 to 3, then 2 to 1, and back 3 to 1. Don't worry if the topology view from the GUI shows you a black bay for the 3rd drives that does not exist.
You don't even need to restart Media Manager services after that.

Kerkael