cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

confused !!!!!

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

I am very confused on this

2) We confirmed with these NetBackup commands that the robot and tape drive were seen at the OS level.
# /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpautoconf -r
(Showed the robot)
# /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpautoconf -t
(Showed the tape drive)

=================================================================

OS level:

Windows - look in device manager

Unix:

Solaris - cfgadm -al / cfgadm -al -o show_FCP_dev / luxadm (eg) luxadm -e port

AIX -  prtconf / lscfg / lsdev / lspath

Linux - cat /proc/scsi/scsi

=======================================================

I a very confused at this.

Please provide the correct KB.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No,

2) We confirmed with these NetBackup commands that the robot and tape drive were seen at the OS level.

(Showed the robot)
(Showed the tape drive)

These are NBU commands, and should not be used to confirm the OS can see the devices.

Of course, if the devices are shown, then it does mean that the devices are visible at the OS, but it is possible that if the devices are not shown in tpautoconf command, it is possbible that they are still seen at the OS.

In this case, the commands seem to confirm everything is fine, but time and time and time again I explain that the drives should ONLY be checked with OS commands, when this is confirmed then you move onto NBU commands.

I cannot understand why everyone always looks first at NBU when it comes to devices, it is NOT the correct way to 'think' about things.

I am convinced that one day I will get a call ...

"NBU cannot see the drives, it is rubbish"

Me.  "OK, where are the drives"

"They are still in the box, we haven't unpacked them yet ..."

Martin

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Given to you many times before:

NBU Device Configuration Guide http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3656

NIKHIL, you seem to battling with this job, right?

Please ask your management to book you on a 5-day NetBackup training course. This will teach you basic concepts, you will install NBU from scratch, configure devices, add policies, run backups, do restore plus lots of other relevant topics.

You keep on jumping around with different topics, asking new questions before you properly understood the previous topic, just to come back a couple of weeks later to repeat the SAME questions....

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
That is great suggestion Marianne, he should really go for atleast basic training " NIKHIL, you seem to battling with this job, right? Please ask your management to book you on a 5-day NetBackup training course. This will teach you basic concepts, you will install NBU from scratch, configure devices, add policies, run backups, do restore plus lots of other relevant topics." It seems you keep on asking same question which really doesn't add anything to this forum. Thanks

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

What are you confused about:

OS level:

Windows - look in device manager

Unix:

Solaris - cfgadm -al / cfgadm -al -o show_FCP_dev / luxadm (eg) luxadm -e port

AIX -  prtconf / lscfg / lsdev / lspath

Linux - cat /proc/scsi/scsi

These commands are run and will show if the os can 'see' the tape drives / robot - I am not sure how this can be confusing.
Either, they are there, or they are not there ...

There are 100s of pages that you can find in google giving examples - you may have to look around a bit, but they are there,

If the os commands are confusing, then you need to go and get some training on the os - Symantec are not responsible for anything, until the devices are seen in the os - we do not support solaris/ windows/ linux etc ...

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

(Showed the robot)
(Showed the tape drive)

I also seen this somewhere.

Marianne
Level 6

We simply don't understand what you are confused about. 

First step when configuring devices is to ensure that OS can see devices.
NBU does not need to be installed to run OS commands to see/query devices.
All of this needs to work without NBU.

NBU tpautoconf commands will issue SCSI enquiry at OS level to ensure that NBU and OS can see/use devices.

Marianne
Level 6

NKHIL is once again quoting from different sources without telling us where he got it from (and then ask us to provide correct KB!).

I found the first section in this TN http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH160705 (about connecting tape library to 5200 appliance).

Second section looks like one of Martins previous posts in response to one of NIKHIL's questions?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No,

(Showed the robot)
(Showed the tape drive)

These are NBU commands, and should not be used to confirm the OS can see the devices.

Of course, if the devices are shown, then it does mean that the devices are visible at the OS, but it is possible that if the devices are not shown in tpautoconf command, it is possbible that they are still seen at the OS.

In this case, the commands seem to confirm everything is fine, but time and time and time again I explain that the drives should ONLY be checked with OS commands, when this is confirmed then you move onto NBU commands.

I cannot understand why everyone always looks first at NBU when it comes to devices, it is NOT the correct way to 'think' about things.

I am convinced that one day I will get a call ...

"NBU cannot see the drives, it is rubbish"

Me.  "OK, where are the drives"

"They are still in the box, we haven't unpacked them yet ..."

Martin