cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create new master server

Itai
Level 4

Hi

when starting new master server installation on win 2008r2 netbackup 7.6 after inserting the licnse key , choose destination to other path is greyed out, wierd.

it's new VM machine, could be disk wise? windows shows drive letter fine.

the real question I have is, can I p2v my  old master server (also7.6) currently on phisycal machine via VM converter? or should I install as fresh and restore from catalog?

Cheers,

Itai

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I have seen this behaviour if you are running repair type of installation where it does not allow you to change install path. If this is a new installation then it is weired.. Can u please make sure that there is no Netbackup installation on this VM. Also if you have used template to create this VM, you can try to use any other template if you have as the issue may be with OS itself.

About P2V with Vmware convertor, I could not find a supporting document from Symantec. If you want you can confirm with Symantec by opening a support case.

View solution in original post

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

If your master server is not clustered, and does not require any SAN connectivity then you should be ok - and it will be far easier if the IP addressing and subneting and routing is all remaining the same too.

No one can say for 100% sure that you will be ok - as it depends as much about how NetBackup reacts (and really it shouldn't care) - but its the Windows and other 'apps' which usually catch people out - i.e. will Windows and any other applications survive the P2V?

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did you start the installer with "Run as administrator"?

Itai
Level 4

Tried it..same result

Marianne
In addition to UAC limitations (best to turn UAC off) check if there is a Veritas folder under C:\Program Files. There may be a leftover from a previous server or client installation attempt. You cannot P2V a master server. P2V uses BMR technology which cannot protect or recover a master server.

RiaanBadenhorst

Strange.

You can P2V your master using VM converter by itself (not integrating with NBU BMR).

Itai
Level 4

Thanks Marriane..so Riaan could be wrong ? no way of doing it you say

RiaanBadenhorst

Marianne is referring to using NetBackup BMR P2V which relies on VMware converter to restore CLIENT from physical to virtual. You cannot use that to functionality to restore the master as the master is involved in the restore process.

If you use VMware converter by itself, you should not have any issues.

Itai
Level 4

Sure...? I wish, read an article that recommend not to do so, is it supported by Symantec? VM converter is by far easiest way, don't need to mention it :)

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I have seen this behaviour if you are running repair type of installation where it does not allow you to change install path. If this is a new installation then it is weired.. Can u please make sure that there is no Netbackup installation on this VM. Also if you have used template to create this VM, you can try to use any other template if you have as the issue may be with OS itself.

About P2V with Vmware convertor, I could not find a supporting document from Symantec. If you want you can confirm with Symantec by opening a support case.

Itai
Level 4

First of all thanks all, it was Netbackup client installed , after remove works great, Secondly,Can I P2V master server via VM Converter

Marrianne wrote:

"You cannot P2V a master server.
P2V uses BMR technology which cannot protect or recover a master server."

is it also  applies to VM conveter?

Thanks Again

cc:Marianne :)

Marianne

Apologies - I missed the vmconverter part.

I was referring to NBU P2V that uses BMR technology.

Itai
Level 4

so, no problem with P2V via VM converter to master server 7.6, I'm asking it with my loyer standing next to me

sdo

If your master server is not clustered, and does not require any SAN connectivity then you should be ok - and it will be far easier if the IP addressing and subneting and routing is all remaining the same too.

No one can say for 100% sure that you will be ok - as it depends as much about how NetBackup reacts (and really it shouldn't care) - but its the Windows and other 'apps' which usually catch people out - i.e. will Windows and any other applications survive the P2V?

Itai
Level 4

Hi,

Done, thank you all for your help

via VM converter

backup ok and no bed vibes from server :)

havn't tried  to restore yet  :)

Regards,

Itai

sdo

First thing to say... is... "Well done!".

Next... Any tips / lessons for others?   Things we should consider?

Itai
Level 4

Well..no.. just stopped and disabled all policy's , ran VM converter (vm version 5.5) and after uninstalled all HP software , manually removed HP drivers and installed vm tools, reboot..and all is fine :)