cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cut off service during backup window

Muneer_Khan
Level 2

Hi,

I need your help. I have a strange problem with A97SV51214025AP server. This server has an application running that inserts registers each minute on A97SV51214017DB Oracle server through OLE DB connection.  During the day the application is running fine, but at night, when the backup is running over A97SV51214025AP server, we have a cut off service.

During a week I requested to stop the backup on this server and during this test week we haven't got any cut of service.

I think that the backup is correct in this server through API NetBackup/VMware.

I don't know what is the problem. It's possible that the application is very sensitive

A97SV51214025AP resides on DC1 and A97SV51214017DB resides on DC2.

Shall we move A97SV51214025AP server from DC1 to to DC2? 

is the problem was a connection between both sites ?

Please suggest

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Google the term "vmware stun":

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=vmware+stun

I would suggest changing the backup type from VMware type to instead take a backup using an instance of NetBackup Client within the guest VM.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I will move this discussion to NetBackup forum.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Think you have hit an issue where the VMs network is not responding properly while it is being snapshotted. Have experienced this behaviour, but unfortunately do not know what the fix is.

But unless you have done something special, a VM backup of a running Oracle Database, does not gives you a consistent database backup. (Sorry but have been with DBAs for a long time ...)

One migation could be to install a netbackup client into the VM and run backup as from a physical machine, that was the solution we used.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Google the term "vmware stun":

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=vmware+stun

I would suggest changing the backup type from VMware type to instead take a backup using an instance of NetBackup Client within the guest VM.

ashokvaleti
Level 4

Check the Memory and CPU utilisation of server during backup.Also if possible try to exclude the application dependent files.Also to confirm issue is due to backup,try changing the backup timing and see the result