cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

daily_messages.log in windows master server

tollboy
Level 4

Hello,

In unix/Linux master server there is a file in  /usr/openv/netbackup/db/error named daily_messages.log. It always point out to latest log file in /usr/openv/netbackup/db/error.

On the other side in windows master serer I have never seen this file. Is there any configuration in NBU, I can do to generate this file and point to this file.

One way could be to write a PS script for creating a shotcut to the lates file in the directory, and schedule to run that script every day at midnight. But that is custom solution.

I want to know is there anything which can be changed in NBU side. daily_messages.log servs as a global error file for the NBU. I am wondering why we dot have it in windows.

Regards,

Pankaj Pal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tollboy
Level 4

Marianne/mph99

Thanks for you quick reponses.

we scrub this log file for monitoring jobs in our monitoring system. We poll the server every 5-10 minutes (I dont want to go ops center mail notification) and check read the file where it left last time.

With bperror the minimum value possible is one hour i.e 60 minutes. Also you will not get this nicely formatted output in bperror where policy, schedule and client are easily accessible.

1430901577 1 66 4 master-server 990950 -1 0 NONE nbpem CLIENT NONE  POLICY SLP_Internal_Policy  SCHED TD_EXCLUDE  EXIT STATUS 811 (failed to communicate with resource requester)

We have a good monitoring and automated system for NBU job failures in UNIX/Linux. I was just hoping if the same could work in windows without much change in system and automation.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That is purely because Windows does not have Symbolic Links like Unix/Linux does.

Why do you need this file?

Simply use bperror command to query this db.
bperror -all : All log entries
bperror -problem : problem report
bperror -media : media logs report

More options in NetBackup Commands Reference Guide 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

On Unix, yes, /usr/openv/netbackup/db/error is a symbolic link.

There is nothing you can do to create this file within NBU, no config is possible.

Not sure why its done differently in windows, symlinks are more a unix thing, so that could be one reason - don't know I'm afraid, it was down to the developer who wrote the code.

Why not just use the bperror command, this command looks in the files you reference, and is 'global'.

Martin

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you know how to create symbolic links in Windows you could submit this as a suggestion to the NBU developers...
Or else use bperror with -d option to specify start date as mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss.
(A Windows programming expert like sdo can probably help to figure out how to specify last 5 or 10 minutes programmatically.)

tollboy
Level 4

Marianne/mph99

Thanks for you quick reponses.

we scrub this log file for monitoring jobs in our monitoring system. We poll the server every 5-10 minutes (I dont want to go ops center mail notification) and check read the file where it left last time.

With bperror the minimum value possible is one hour i.e 60 minutes. Also you will not get this nicely formatted output in bperror where policy, schedule and client are easily accessible.

1430901577 1 66 4 master-server 990950 -1 0 NONE nbpem CLIENT NONE  POLICY SLP_Internal_Policy  SCHED TD_EXCLUDE  EXIT STATUS 811 (failed to communicate with resource requester)

We have a good monitoring and automated system for NBU job failures in UNIX/Linux. I was just hoping if the same could work in windows without much change in system and automation.