cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data validation in veritas 811

intradmin
Level 3

how i can validate data in veritas 811 or by default validation enable in version811 please advise us.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Netbackup does not automatically verify after completion of backup.
It is a manual process -  either use bpverify from cmd or use the Catalog section in the GUI to Verify.

In all honesty - I do not see any value in this process. I have learned to trust NetBackup when it says that the backup was successful. 
Image verification will simply compare contents of tape or disk image with catalog entries.
It does not compare backed up data with client data or that all required data was indeed backed up.
The BEST possible verification of backups is to perform regular restore tests.

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You don't need it - you verify backups to see if tapes was correctly written, but all modern tape drives has that functionality build in the hardware

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape-Open

LTO uses an automatic verify-after-write technology to immediately check the data as it is being written

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Netbackup does not automatically verify after completion of backup.
It is a manual process -  either use bpverify from cmd or use the Catalog section in the GUI to Verify.

In all honesty - I do not see any value in this process. I have learned to trust NetBackup when it says that the backup was successful. 
Image verification will simply compare contents of tape or disk image with catalog entries.
It does not compare backed up data with client data or that all required data was indeed backed up.
The BEST possible verification of backups is to perform regular restore tests.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You don't need it - you verify backups to see if tapes was correctly written, but all modern tape drives has that functionality build in the hardware

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape-Open

LTO uses an automatic verify-after-write technology to immediately check the data as it is being written