cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

database restore based on date, and expired tapes

bahr
Level 2
I have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find answers to for using netbackup and oracle rman.

We are planning on using netbackup/oracle rman for backup and recovery. Our DBA has set up a flash recovery area and will use rman to backup the database to this, then another rman script will backup what is in the flash recovery to tape.  What I'm not quite clear on is this -

None of the tapes that we have written backups to ever shows up on our vault report, and therefore are never being sent offsite. Is there something that I need to do with our vault policy to get these to be recognized as tapes that need to go offsite?

It seems that we can't do a recovery based on date for an oracle backup in the way that we would for a regular backup. I have a script running that is collecting the labels of the tapes used for each night's backup, so I know which tapes were used. If we want to do a recovery for a specific date, I assume that it is up to me to make sure that we get those tapes back in the library? ( as opposed to a regular restore, where it will tell me which tapes I need for the restore).

If rman were to obsolete backups, it looks to me like it obsoletes them on the disk and expects the tapes that have those backups to be available in the library to obsolete the backups. What happens if those tapes aren't in the library?

Does anyone have any good pointers for rman restore scripts?
2 REPLIES 2

zippy
Level 6
RMAN will send it to DISK this is apart from Netbackup.  Netbackup will pick it up, this means that netbackup should be doing the second part, using a policy that you should have created.  You must add this new policy to the vault job of youre choice.