cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

datastore list is blank when restoring a vm

grenief
Level 3

Hi,  I'm doing a DR and I can't restore anything because when I specify the Alternate location for the restore, the datastore list is blank (usualy I see the local storage and the san attached storage).

I'm using nbu 7.0.1 to restore vm on esx server 4 upgrade 1.

The vmfs storage are accessible from the esx server (I was able to create a new vm).

The vmware credential are setup in nbu (and validated)

I can restore simple files to the esx server no problem.

anyone encounter that issue? any help will be greatly received!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tim_Hansen
Level 5
Certified

post the output of your bpvmutil log on the media server/restore host. the issue usually requires you to clean out your emm database of the VMware server credentials and re-add them, and possible delete the cache files and recreate them so that information can get repopulated.

Also, in this DR test, have you imported images into the NBU environment? Have you browsed this VMware environment by creating a policy to backup VMware servers off of this environment, so that the cache files in <nbu install dir>\online_util\fi_cntl have been created and populated with the information from the virtual environment? This step is critical.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Tim_Hansen
Level 5
Certified

post the output of your bpvmutil log on the media server/restore host. the issue usually requires you to clean out your emm database of the VMware server credentials and re-add them, and possible delete the cache files and recreate them so that information can get repopulated.

Also, in this DR test, have you imported images into the NBU environment? Have you browsed this VMware environment by creating a policy to backup VMware servers off of this environment, so that the cache files in <nbu install dir>\online_util\fi_cntl have been created and populated with the information from the virtual environment? This step is critical.

VirtualED
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

At NetBackup 7.0.1 there is a binary bundle that addresses most known issues around vStorage backups and restore via NetBackup.

It is possible you are experiencing an issue already addressed in the binary bundle.  Call NetBackup Support and ask for the vStorage binary bundle.

grenief
Level 3

The issue was resolved before I could read your post Tim, but thank you, I'll remember this.

found this thread:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-vstorage-restore-esx-server-unable-see-data...

eebinstaller.2060693.5.AMD64 could not be installed on nbu 7.0.1

uninstalled nbu 7.0.1, installed the binary patch, reinstalled 7.0.1. It is working now. Don't know if that solved the issue or,like Tim said, the issue got resolved after I created a new policy to test a restore with a new backup.