cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dedicated interfaces for duplication in netbackup

dpx_99
Level 4
Hi experts,
I want to configure a separate interfaces for duplication on media servers.
My query is : is it possible to send duplication data over dedicated interfaces to Target media servers?
If yes, how I can configure in netbackup console?
Please suggest.
Any thought or opinion will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Dpx
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

there is no point to configure a dedidcated replication interface in NBU GUI.

In NetBackup_deduplication guide youll find a chapter "Configuring a separate network path for MSDP
duplication and replication"

in short:

- configure dedicated interfaces on both media server with a different IP Subnet

-ensure that Nameservices will start with  local files (which is default on most OS)

- add on /etc/hosts of MediaserverA the MediaserverB with the IP of replication Interface

- same for MediaserverB

This will "fake" the nameresolution and makes the Mediaserver to use the dedicated interface for all kinds of communications.

ciao

tunix2k

View solution in original post

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

@vtas_chasis right. This solution is not NBU related. You make the mediaserver using your dedicatetd network everytime if they initiate a connection (using name) This happens for all kind of communinications:

ex. ping mediaserverB; ssh mediaserverB etc.

to reach this you make the /etc/hosts entry of the other mediaserver only.

Of course works this with all deduplications between this mediaservers in both direction, of course it work with backup acting one mediaserver as client and the other as mediaserver

It is (in my opinion) a bloody solution. Dedicated Replicationinterface configured by netbackup would be bether. But it works.

ciao

tunix2k

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

there is no point to configure a dedidcated replication interface in NBU GUI.

In NetBackup_deduplication guide youll find a chapter "Configuring a separate network path for MSDP
duplication and replication"

in short:

- configure dedicated interfaces on both media server with a different IP Subnet

-ensure that Nameservices will start with  local files (which is default on most OS)

- add on /etc/hosts of MediaserverA the MediaserverB with the IP of replication Interface

- same for MediaserverB

This will "fake" the nameresolution and makes the Mediaserver to use the dedicated interface for all kinds of communications.

ciao

tunix2k

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The answers supplied by @tunix2k is what you need to use.

@tunix2k - many thanks

Question is - how I will tell to SLP policies to pick replication interface path as media servers has already configured in prod. Vlan. And can send duplicated data to each other?

Thx
Dpx

Just to add little more info: DR servers are configured in prod vlan and I'm using DR media servers for backup from primary site + DR site.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you read through the chapter in MSDP guide?

Yes, I, have read all 5 points mentioned in dedup guide related msdp duplication on a separate interface but didn't understand point-5. When I create SLP I select storage unit but not alternative host.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Please don't try this unless you clearly understand how routing of traffic happen in a operating system.

I would advice to pick other "low hanging fruits" before trying to optimize replication traffic via seperate LAN's.

Just my two cents.

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

The fundamental point that I think you're missing is that you don't use NBU to do this.  You utilize underlying OS level routing and host naming to make this happen.  NBU has no "pick this interface to replicate" function.  

You have to use hosts files / DNS to route the data across a specific interface.  This is much easier to do when you've started from an unconfigured state, but you can reverse engineer it.  It simply takes more effort and you don't have as much flexibility in how you do it.  The key is fully understanding the layout of the media servers, how the traffic is currently routed, what the hostnames are, etc.  Fully map that out before you start making changes.  In most cases, since you've got an installed system already, you're going to have to do this with individually managed hosts files, not DNS, because doing it with DNS will create other issues for you.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

Genericus
   VIP   

This is an OS question - be aware that not all OS handle this the same. 

Be aware - NetBackup does NOT like it when traffic goes out one NIC and back another.

If it sends to system-backup and gets data back from system.domain it sees these as different systems!

I know my Solaris will send out on the most "local" NIC, so setting up a backup vlan allows traffic on it.

Some linux OS requires you to specify in configuration to do this!

I cannot speak to windows configuration.

Once you have the traffic configured, then it is just a matter of designating the name needed to point to that destination NIC.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

@vtas_chasis right. This solution is not NBU related. You make the mediaserver using your dedicatetd network everytime if they initiate a connection (using name) This happens for all kind of communinications:

ex. ping mediaserverB; ssh mediaserverB etc.

to reach this you make the /etc/hosts entry of the other mediaserver only.

Of course works this with all deduplications between this mediaservers in both direction, of course it work with backup acting one mediaserver as client and the other as mediaserver

It is (in my opinion) a bloody solution. Dedicated Replicationinterface configured by netbackup would be bether. But it works.

ciao

tunix2k

in my opinion, this is only WORK-AROUND - not a standard solution. Unfortuntely netbackup has written such workaround in dedup guide which confused a lot.

Thanks everyone for putting up your thoughts.

it would be useful if someone can atleast tell how SLP communication works? not sure indeed /etc/hosts workaround will work.