Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dedicated lan

Ashz_Tomz
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
hi friends

any idea how we can have configure a dedicated lan for my backup .

we have systems presently using the production lan for the backup. how can we use configure
a dedicated lan by adding another nic card
how does the backup server know which card to talk to

the production lan is on 192.168.x.x series and we are planning to add additonal nics on an clients in the series 10.x..x..x
how the backp server will know which nic to connect to on client ?

3 REPLIES 3

Stumpr2
Level 6
How to back up client data to a media server using a specific backup network interface
http://support.veritas.com/docs/269879

Details:
In many environments that contain a private backup network and a public network, and all backup servers and clients contain an interface for each network, it is desirable to restrict the sending of backup client data through the backup network interface rather than through the public network interface. In order to send VERITAS NetBackup (tm) UNIX client data to the tape drives on the UNIX media server through the -bk network, but the SSO traffic over the private interface (generally the NIC associated with the hostname), the REQUIRED_INTERFACE directive will need to be used. The REQUIRED_INTERFACE directive will allow NetBackup communication to occur over TCP/IP between the media server writing the backup data and the master server which records images database information, but the actual client data is sent to the media server's drives via the backup network.

To do this, edit the /usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf file on the media server. Add the following entry, being sure to substitute the actual resolvable name of the media server's backup interface where media_svr_name-bk is shown in the command.

REQUIRED_INTERFACE = media_svr_name-bk

Stop and restart the media manager processes. Then create the robot and drives, and stop and restart the media manager again. This will allow the device host name as seen from the master be associated with the -bk interface. At that point, use the master server's GUI to add the new device host and storage unit which will then be assigned to the -bk device host name.

Then, add a "SERVER = " entry for each media server resolvable NIC name in the bp.conf file of any client backing its data up to media server's tape drives. In addition, add the "REQUIRED_INTERFACE = client_name-bk" specifying the client's backup network interface card name. The value used after the REQUIRED_INTERFACE for the client's backup network card name will also need to be listed in the policy on the master server that is backing up this client. That will be the name of the client to be backed up from the master server's perspective.

Ashz_Tomz
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
Thanks Bob ,

but how does this part work for a windows master server

we have the master server on windows , when the netbackup was installed it was installed in 192.x..xx series and now we are adding an alternate lan to the setup in range of 10.xx  .. dont we need to change any registry parameters

Will this be enough if i just change the hostfile on teh master ?

10..x.x. 2  master_backup ?

Kindly suggest

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
ya let me give some informations.

i means windows platform here.

for enabling backup to go through backup lan just do the following:

it can be done in 2 way.

1. changing the host entry file(drivers\etc\hosts) to point client name with backup ip.

2. changing the client properties to use specific network card.
(client properties->universal settings->use specified network interface->type the backup network interface name.)

let me know if you have any more clarification.