Did you mean: 

difference

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

Windows: C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\bin\
UNIX: /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/ 

How-to:
A) Scan and discover locally attached tape drives: tpautoconf -t
B) Scan and discover locally attached robotic devices (via SCSI and SAN): tpautoconf -r
C) Scan all locally attached devices: scan (or sgscan - Solaris only)
D) Scan and provide detailed robotic inquiry (for locally attached robot): scan -changer

What is the difference between scan and tpautoconf?

scan is os comoand

Tpconf is NBU command.

Is it correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Not quite - scan is not an os command, it is supplied by symantec.

But, it is 'not really' a netbackup command, what I mean by this is :

1.   The only time NBU uses scan , is when you run the device wizard, I believe the wizard runs scan -all.

2.  If scan does not work AND the pass thru drivers are correct (if used), then it wil not be a netbackup fault, it will be an issue between the OS and the device.

3.  If scan does not work, there are NO options of settings in NBU that can be used to make it work, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF POINT 4.

4.  If the OS is a type that uses a pass through driver (eg. sg driver on solaris), and this is 'incorrect' and needs rebuilding, it can cause scan not to work.

So you see what I mean when I explain scan is 'not really' a netbackup command.  Let's just say it is a command half way between the OS and Netbackup.

All scan does, is look at the os and send a scsi inquire command to each device the os  finds.

All tpautoconf -a /-t does,  is look at the os and send a scsi inquire command to each device the os  finds.

To answer the question, the difference between scan and tpautoconf -t / -r is very little.-t / -r shows only the tape drives or changer, whilst scan shows everything - but the reults are pretty much the same, you see the attached tapes/ robots.

tpautoconf -a is different, this will actually configure the attached drives/ robots into the netbackup config.

Martin

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Bang on. Scan checks to ensure that we can see devices from an OS perspective.

tpautoconf (with the -a option), uses that information (device paths) and automatically creates the logical NetBackup drive/robot names.

tpconfig allows us to manually create, delete or modify the logical drive/robots

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Not quite - scan is not an os command, it is supplied by symantec.

But, it is 'not really' a netbackup command, what I mean by this is :

1.   The only time NBU uses scan , is when you run the device wizard, I believe the wizard runs scan -all.

2.  If scan does not work AND the pass thru drivers are correct (if used), then it wil not be a netbackup fault, it will be an issue between the OS and the device.

3.  If scan does not work, there are NO options of settings in NBU that can be used to make it work, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF POINT 4.

4.  If the OS is a type that uses a pass through driver (eg. sg driver on solaris), and this is 'incorrect' and needs rebuilding, it can cause scan not to work.

So you see what I mean when I explain scan is 'not really' a netbackup command.  Let's just say it is a command half way between the OS and Netbackup.

All scan does, is look at the os and send a scsi inquire command to each device the os  finds.

All tpautoconf -a /-t does,  is look at the os and send a scsi inquire command to each device the os  finds.

To answer the question, the difference between scan and tpautoconf -t / -r is very little.-t / -r shows only the tape drives or changer, whilst scan shows everything - but the reults are pretty much the same, you see the attached tapes/ robots.

tpautoconf -a is different, this will actually configure the attached drives/ robots into the netbackup config.

Martin