cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

different between configuration of msdp and puredisk

cmwong0921
Level 4

Hi ,

there are 2 type of dedup pool . if i have a local disk attached to the media server , can i choose puredisk option ?

what is the purpose of these 2 type of dedup ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It does get confusing when you run the storage wizard to be honest...

When you start you create a Storage Server .. the type of that you need to select as MSDP .. but by the time you have worked through the wizard you find that the disk pool you are creating makes you select a PureDisk disk pool .. so a MSDP Storage Server uses a PureDisk Disk Pool ... all very mixed up!

By just start by saying it is to be a MSDP Storage Server and the wizard will guide you through the rest of the options.

What ever you do make sure you make a copy of the userame and password you use when configuring it in a safe place .. you may well need it in the future

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You did not mention your NBU version? 

Please always do so as things change with every new NBU version.

NetBackup MSDP uses the PureDisk engine. 
MSDP pool is therefore configured using PureDisk type.

You did not say which other dedupe option you have available?
AdvancedDisk is not dedupe.

Basic Dedupe conceps and how MSDP is the same and/or different from PureDisk is described in the NBU 7.0 FAQ when built-in dedupe was first introduced:

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/other_resources/b-netbackup_7_faq.pdf 

Read everything under Deduplication heading.

BEFORE you try to configure MSDP, please take a step back and go through all the requirements and step-by-step instructions in  NetBackup Deduplication Guide 

(If you are using another NBU version, look for links to your version in Handy NBU Links in my signature)

Preparation is the key to success.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

@CM... be careful not to get confused.  There used to be a separate software suite "PureDisk" which was used to create "PDDO" servers/storage, and there used to be "PDDO" Appliances (the 50xx Series).

Back in time, the same "PureDisk" engine was also used within "MSDP".

Standalone "PureDisk" and "PDDO" have withered, and I believe are EOL.

"MSDP" goes from strength to strength.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It does get confusing when you run the storage wizard to be honest...

When you start you create a Storage Server .. the type of that you need to select as MSDP .. but by the time you have worked through the wizard you find that the disk pool you are creating makes you select a PureDisk disk pool .. so a MSDP Storage Server uses a PureDisk Disk Pool ... all very mixed up!

By just start by saying it is to be a MSDP Storage Server and the wizard will guide you through the rest of the options.

What ever you do make sure you make a copy of the userame and password you use when configuring it in a safe place .. you may well need it in the future

Hope that helps

cmwong0921
Level 4

Thanks everyone for the replies.  Think i would be MSDP for local disk pool .