cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

differential backup does not backup modified files

Essam_Magdy
Level 2

Dears;

I need your help as I have an issue regarding the differential backup...

i took a full backup from a file server and then i restored it to a new file server (i did so as we are migrating the file server from windows 2003 to windows 2012 R2)...

then i  modified a text file and created a new text file on the file server...

then i run a differential backup...

then I restored this differential backup on the new file server...

what happened is only the new file i have created is restored but the file i have modified did not restore...

please advise if i have to modify the policy or modify the restore options...

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you can browse it, it was backed up.

As suggested by my question and Andy's post - if you restore to same location and tell NBU to NOT overwrite, it cannot replace the existing file.

If you go through the logs, you will see that the modified file was skipped during restore because it already exists.

If you do not want to overwrite existing file, then restore to different folder.

NBU restore is working as expected.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne

When you browse for backups and expand the folder, can you see the modified file?

Did you choose to restore to same or different location?

Did you choose "Overwrite existing files" or not?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

How long did you leave between the first backup and the second backup

xlrd
Level 3

The key thing here is to check whether your file is actually included in the differential backup - use bplist -C <client> -k <policyname> -X -s <ctime> -e <ctime> -R / (get ctime from the image itself, <client>_<ctime>) or BAR GUI to do so.

I would assume that the file will not be included in the INCREMENTAL backup, so depending on INCREMENTALS BASED ON configuration (archive bit or modified time) on the client check why it has happened: either OS did not put archive bit on the file  when it was created or the issue is related to modified time on the file (to troubleshoot that check how NetBackup identifies the files during the INCREMENTAL backups, see https://www.veritas.com/community/articles/how-netbackup-chooses-files-be-included-incremental-backup)

Essam_Magdy
Level 2

Dear Marianne;

Yes i can see the modified files..

Yes i restore to the same location...

No i do not use "Overwrite existing files"..

Thanks

Essam_Magdy
Level 2

Dear Martin;

only 1 day..

Thanks

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Your (last) response to Mariannes initial question seems (to me) to be the issue:

Yes i can see the modified files..

Yes i restore to the same location...

No i do not use "Overwrite existing files"..

If you "do not overwrite existing files" then the newer, modified versions of said files will not be restored (it should say something to this effect in the restore job details)

Marianne

If you can browse it, it was backed up.

As suggested by my question and Andy's post - if you restore to same location and tell NBU to NOT overwrite, it cannot replace the existing file.

If you go through the logs, you will see that the modified file was skipped during restore because it already exists.

If you do not want to overwrite existing file, then restore to different folder.

NBU restore is working as expected.

Essam_Magdy
Level 2

Dears;

thanks a million; i did chose the overwrite option and it did work...

Thanks