cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

duplicate images for End of Year Tape backup

bcsupport
Level 4

Hello,

I am trying to find the most simple way to duplicate an image from one Master server(which is running 3.1.2, because we backup older 2003 clients) to another that is running 3.1.2(but will be upgraded very soon to 4.1).  These two master servers are in the same domain.  The master server that we are trying to push these to has the Tape drives connected to it and we need to backup these older clients to tape.  So my question is how do i accomplish this and also if I get it to work, will it still work when one master is 4.1 and one is 3.1.2?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I replicate some backups from a 3.2 to a 4.1 some time ago.

first configure AIR replication between the two masters and test it.
then gather all backup images you want to transfer to a file and run the command

nbreplicate -Bidfile <file_with_backup_images> -cn 1 -slp_name <target_SLP_name_ -target_sts <target_STS_server_name>

The target SLP can have the Import step and the duplicate to tape step

if yopu want to do it backupid per baackup image change the -Bidfile <file_with_backup_images> with -backupid <backup_ID

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

StefanosM
Level 6

I replicate some backups from a 3.2 to a 4.1 some time ago.

first configure AIR replication between the two masters and test it.
then gather all backup images you want to transfer to a file and run the command

nbreplicate -Bidfile <file_with_backup_images> -cn 1 -slp_name <target_SLP_name_ -target_sts <target_STS_server_name>

The target SLP can have the Import step and the duplicate to tape step

if yopu want to do it backupid per baackup image change the -Bidfile <file_with_backup_images> with -backupid <backup_ID

bcsupport
Level 4

Can the advance disk be replicated?

I have read some things that this may not be possible, the reason we are using advancedisk is because this a sql database that we are protecting.  Can sql databases be sent to the puredisk(MSDP) or is there an issue with doing this?

StefanosM
Level 6

yes, you have to duplicate it to puredisk.
then, in order to replicate it to the other master, you have to use -cn 2 . As you need to replicate the second copy.

bcsupport
Level 4

So I have gotten the certificates from both masters and added each as a trusted master server.  I am now trying to setup the import and replication SLPs but on the source master it is not letting me select the target master as an option for replication.  I noticed that I may have to enter the target master storage server credential in the replication tab of the source master, but it gives me an error asking for roots credentials:

Error in configuring nbumaster.xxx.xxx.xx: system called failed(11).  Reconfiguration failed for storage server PureDisk:nbudr.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.  System call failed.

I'm not sure if I have the root's password wrong or if there is something else going on.

StefanosM
Level 6

at  target storage server clish

Main > Appliance > ShowDedupPassword

use this password to config target master storage server credential in the replication tab of the source master. The user is root

bcsupport
Level 4

Ok, thanks.  One last question. . If i replicate this out to the target master server and duplicate it out to tape for a 2 year retention, would I need to export it from the source with a 2 year retention or can I just set the retention when it writes to tape? 

From what I understand only the source master can restore it if there were to be a problem, and I figured that the catalog on the source master may need to have 2 year retention set.

bcsupport
Level 4

I think I found the answer to my question, looks like i can set 2 year retention on the export SLP and use Target retention for the import SLP.  Thanks you set me on the right path