that maight be quiet simple.

I have a mssql online policy 
and  some schedules

anual       - retention 5 years
mensal   - retentinon 1 year
semana  - retencion 3 months
diario      - retention 2 weeks

so.. all of them R Automatic backups

there is one application schedulle for all of them, is that right?

and about the retention period should I put  5 years ??

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
We treat database policies different to normal policies:
We create different policies for the different requirements - one for daily, one for weekly, etc so that the application schedule can be assigned the correct retention.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I´ll try some tests...

Im not sure about it...

Must the application schedule get the higher retention?

Should I use one application schedule for each auto schedule ?

Marianne
We treat database policies different to normal policies:
We create different policies for the different requirements - one for daily, one for weekly, etc so that the application schedule can be assigned the correct retention.

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited

we create one police per server/kind of data

ex:

svjava-oracle-online
svjava-files

we create a schedule for each retention/time to run.

hourly/ weekly each one w/ a different retention.

is that ok??

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
The same policy,

EX: mssql on line same template

there is 4 schedules

1 every day = retention 3 days
1 every week = retention 1 month
the application schedule is set for the higher retention -

is that wrong??

Marianne

All of them will run against the same application schedule with that retention period - so you might as well have only one automatic schedule.

I have always wondered why Symantec has actually added a retention period for automatic schedules - it means nothing as far as image retention is concerned.

The manual says the following:

The retention period for an Application Backup Policy schedule refers to the length of time that NetBackup keeps backup images.

The retention period for an Automatic Backup schedule controls how long NetBackup keeps records of when scheduled backups have occurred.

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited

1) a backup w/ application retentions 3 days and automatic retention 1 week... and see what really gona heppen w/ my data.

Marianne

This TechNote says it can be done in one policy:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/258640.htm

Create different Application Backup schedules with different backup windows.
Please note that it is very important the two "Backup Policy" schedules do not overlap. If they do overlap, unpredictable results can occur, and backups could fail to take place or could expire prematurely.

I think this is why we have gone for the different policy per retention period.

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Thanks again Marine.

I´ll read that tech note.

I was thinking.

if each automatic schedule can have "his own" retention and every auto schedule "calls" the application, why can I change the retention?

I´ll do some tests.. and post the results here.

Will_Restore
Level 6
This old document states:

"Note: While there are Retention options for both the Application Backup schedule and the Automatic Backup schedule, it is the one on the Application Backup schedule which determines how long the images are maintained in the NetBackup images database and on tape."

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/277559.htm

Dion
Level 6
Certified

The implementation of SQL backup in NetBackup is a bit strange and sometimes a pain to work with but simply, the retention for the Application Backup schedule is used to determine how long the backup images will be kept (the schedule is not used by the server).  The schedule for the Automatic Backup is used to determine when a backup runs, the frequency and the window (the retention does not get used).

As far as I can remember (it was quite a long time ago that I did the tests), the windows for both schedules are used.  The windows for the Application Backup schedule determines when backups initiated from client machines can be run and the windows for the Automatic Backups determines when the policy can run.

Hope this helps

JayDhillon
Level 4

We are using the daily, weekly, montly and yearly policies to do sepereate retentions but will check the document to see they can be consolidated to one.

Twinkle_Sapra
Level 5
Certified
Best part to create different policy for different retention to avoid overlapping....

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
that is Right

one policy for each retention.

I´ll give Mariane as solution because I found that  "Best part to create different policy for different retention to avoid overlapping...."  through her post.

Thanks a lot

Jonathan_Bourke
Level 3
As we already have 100's of policies I do everything I can to consolidate, within reason. My approach for MS-SQL can be represented by the following graphic:

Schedule
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Weekend Retention
Automatic Schedule Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes n/a
Daily Application Schedule Open Open Open Open     1 Month
Weekly Application Schedule         Open   3 Months
4 Weekly Application Schedule           Open 10 Years

Basically, an Automatic schedule which initiates backups daily, with the corresponding Application Schedule on that day setting the required retention. These Application Schedules do not overlap, so there is no confusion.

This works well when your SQL backup completes in a reasonably defined backup window.

That all said, it would be nice if the MS-SQL / NetBackup API could specify in the BCH script which schedule to use like the Oracle one does. Would make this all a bit easier.

Jonathan