cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

error 59 when doing a restore.

cyberninja
Level 6

Hello,
We are trying to do a restore of a file from a incremental WMware backup. The media server is a Windows 2008 and the client is a Suse 11 server. We are trying to retore the file to anther server that has a NetBcakup client installed.

What we have done so far

At first we tried to restore the the file to the Windows media server and it didn't work. My co-worker put in a ticket to Symantec (07351850) and they say that you can't restore a Linux file to a windows machine. The tech said to restore to another Linux/Unix based client? He also sent us this tech note http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31677.

My co-worker sent this to the tech working the case after we tryied to restore to the Linux client.

Made several attempts, but they failed.   Seems I have a connectivity issue
between the media server (B) that originally performed the backup and the
client (C) I am attempting to restore to.   For the client (C) I am attempting
to restore to, a different media server (A) is used.  Connectivity between
media server A and client C is obviously OK.
bpclntcmd output (-pn -hn and -ip) is as expected on B and C.
I just discovered the bptestbpcd command.   From media server A to client C,
the output is as expected.
From media server B to C, I get (client name changed to C):
C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>bptestbpcd -client C -verbose
<16>bptestbpcd main: Function ConnectToBPCD(C) failed: 46
server not allowed access

I am baffled.   Everything I have checked shows the settings are correct.
Although, DNS has a different IP address for B and C, I have everything using
local hosts files.  Both B and C have two interfaces, but everything is
directing connectivity to use a specific interface (our backup VLAN).

Environment info.
Master server: Solaris 10 - NetBackup version 7.5.0.7
Media Server: Windows 2008 R2 -NetBackup version 7.5.0.7
Media Server: Windows 2008 R2 -NetBackup version 7.5.0.7
Media Server: Solaris 10 - NetBackup version 7.5.0.7

Any help would be great.

Update

My co-worker had a typo in the bp.conf file eariler in the day. He as sence fixed this issue. The error has changed form 59 to 5 and 2820

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Glad the status 59 is resolved. 

We see initially in bpcd log that the client was unable to resolve xxx.xxx.xxx.92  to a hostname. So, at this point there was either a missing or incorrect /etc/hosts entry as well.

18:46:08.252 [16328] <2> logconnections: BPCD ACCEPT FROM xxx.xxx.xxx.92
... vnet_cached_getnameinfo: [vnet_addrinfo.c:1900] retry_getnameinfo() failed RV=-2 IPSTR=xxx.xxx.xxx.92
18:46:08.264 [16328] <4> bpcd valid_server: xxx.xxx.xxx.92 is not a master server 
18:46:08.264 [16328] <16> bpcd valid_server: xxx.xxx.xxx.92 is not a media server either

13 minutes later reverse name lookup worked, resolved hostname matched a SERVER name in bp.conf and connection attempt succeeded:

18:59:25.081 [17172] <2> logconnections: BPCD ACCEPT FROM xxx.xxx.xxx.92 
.... vnet_cached_getnameinfo: [vnet_addrinfo.c:1904] found via getnameinfo OUR_HOST=WinMediaServer01
18:59:25.115 [17172] <2> bpcd valid_server: comparing WinMediaServer01 and WinMediaServer01
18:59:25.115 [17172] <4> bpcd valid_server: hostname comparison succeeded
18:59:25.800 [17172] <2> bpcd exit_bpcd: exit status 0  ----------->exiting

You may want to mark a post that pointed you in the right direction as Solution and start a new discussion for the new status codes.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Firstly i would setup bpcd logging on the two media servers to see what they are saying .. it may just be that they have cached information from before the hosts file entries and you need to clear it out using the bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache a fw times to force an update.

It may also be a short Vs FQDN issue - again the bpcd log will tell you.

I am assuming of course that they do have each other in each others server list (host properties / bp.conf)

Where you are running the restore from may also be relevant .. somewhere along the line one of the servers does not accept communication from another one .. bpcd on each will tell you exactly what is wrong and where

cyberninja
Level 6

We have used the bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache command. We use short names for all of our backups. We have created the bpcd file on the Win media server.

We have looked in the host properties for the Win media server, from the GUI in the master server. We also looked at the clients bp.conf file. It had the media servers listed. the /etc/hosts files on the servers all have the corrent IP to hosts name info.

The log files on the media server show the connection to the master sever but it doen't seem to be

In the bpbrm log it says this:
bpbrm Exit: client backup EXIT STATUS 59: access to the client was not allowed

Marianne
Level 6

We need log file in bpcd log folder on the destination client.

Please copy the file to bpcd.txt and upload as File attachment.

cyberninja
Level 6

I have attached is the bpcd log for your review. from the Win media server.

Marianne
Level 6

We need bpcd log on the destination client.

Please copy log to bpcd.txt (easier to read online than .docx) and upload as File attachment.

cyberninja
Level 6

I will get it for you and attach it as a txt file. I have to sanatize it before I post it.

cyberninja
Level 6

I have attached the bpcd file from the client as requested.

My co-worker had a typo in the bp.conf file eariler in the day. He as sence fixed this issue. The error has changed form 59 to 5 and 2820

The severs have the following IP adresses.
ClientServer       xxx.xxx.xxx.28
MasterServer     xxx.xxx.xxx.6
SolarisMediaServer xxx.xxx.xxx.7
WinMediaServer     xxx.xxx.xxx.91
WinMediaServer     xxx.xxx.xxx.92

Different network
SLESmediaServer   XXX.XXX.XXX.17

Thanks for your help

Marianne
Level 6

Probably best to rename existing bpcd log on the client, then try restore again so that a clean bpcd log is created.

Problem with 'sanitizing' logs is that it is difficult to point out exact issue with names not exactly the same.

But I guess that you will immediately realize the issue when you see how client resolves media server IP hostname to server name and then compares it with all SERVER names in bp.conf and not finding a match.

Remember that names must match EXACTLY.

server1 != Server1 != server1.fqdn

Marianne
Level 6

Glad the status 59 is resolved. 

We see initially in bpcd log that the client was unable to resolve xxx.xxx.xxx.92  to a hostname. So, at this point there was either a missing or incorrect /etc/hosts entry as well.

18:46:08.252 [16328] <2> logconnections: BPCD ACCEPT FROM xxx.xxx.xxx.92
... vnet_cached_getnameinfo: [vnet_addrinfo.c:1900] retry_getnameinfo() failed RV=-2 IPSTR=xxx.xxx.xxx.92
18:46:08.264 [16328] <4> bpcd valid_server: xxx.xxx.xxx.92 is not a master server 
18:46:08.264 [16328] <16> bpcd valid_server: xxx.xxx.xxx.92 is not a media server either

13 minutes later reverse name lookup worked, resolved hostname matched a SERVER name in bp.conf and connection attempt succeeded:

18:59:25.081 [17172] <2> logconnections: BPCD ACCEPT FROM xxx.xxx.xxx.92 
.... vnet_cached_getnameinfo: [vnet_addrinfo.c:1904] found via getnameinfo OUR_HOST=WinMediaServer01
18:59:25.115 [17172] <2> bpcd valid_server: comparing WinMediaServer01 and WinMediaServer01
18:59:25.115 [17172] <4> bpcd valid_server: hostname comparison succeeded
18:59:25.800 [17172] <2> bpcd exit_bpcd: exit status 0  ----------->exiting

You may want to mark a post that pointed you in the right direction as Solution and start a new discussion for the new status codes.

cyberninja
Level 6

I did a global find and replace on the log so the names should match exactly to the name I have a ready used. As for the fgdn we only use short names and I didn't touch this like the last number in the IP and -2 at the end of the host name which means that it is the 2 interface.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If your issue with the error 59 is resolved you should close this thread by marking the comment or comments that resolved it for you as the solution(s)

If you now have other issues please open a new thread for those errors

Thanks