cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error 84 (Status = media write error.)

yadda123
Level 4
I just ran into an error 84 (Status = media write error). The job exited(shows up as queued in the activity monitor, but does not show up in a ps listing any longer), and the tape that error'd was frozen by netbackup. What do I do now? I couldnt figure it out but searching the kb. The tape in question is new. I dont have any issue with using a new tape, except for:

This tape is at the tail end of a 12TB backup(around tape 9 out of a estimated 14 tapes going by past tape usage on my policies).  Do I need to kick off the whole backup again? Can I make it use a new tape? Should I unfreeze the tape netbackup froze and try again? Im not sure what to do exactly. I would much prefer not to kick off the backup all over again. Oh, do I need to expire the images on that frozen tape if I end up using a new one? I also need the hows,  not just the what and whys :) I need some help. And, be verbose please, and take it easy on me!

thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Here are descriptions of your errors:

14h
Clean now  The tape drive needs cleaning:
1. If the operation has stopped, eject the tape and clean the drive.
2. If the operation has not stopped, wait for it to finish and then clean the drive.
Check the tape drive users manual for device specific cleaning instructions.
The drive thinks it has a head clog or needs cleaning.

27h
Diagnostics required
The tape drive may have a hardware fault. Run extended diagnostics to verify and diagnose the problem. Check the tape drive users manual for device specific instructions on running extended diagnostic tests.
The drive may have a hardware fault that may be identified by extended diagnostics (i.e., SEND DIAGNOSTIC command).

1Eh
Hardware A
The tape drive has a hardware fault:
1. Eject the tape or magazine.
2. Reset the drive.
3. Restart the operation.
The drive has a hardware fault that requires reset to recover.

Based on the list of errors you provided I can make a conclusion that something is going wrong with your drive (s) in the tape library. Ask your library vendor to dump the error log from the library and follow their recommendations.

Once you fix hardware fault, you can resume your job from the checkpoint (right click on the job in the Activity Monitor)

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Mouse

If you are not using checkpoints in the policy, you have to restart your backup from the beginning.

It's better to keep the bad tape frozen if it really produces write errors

JC_Cheney
Not applicable
Employee

1. As stated above you'll have to restart the job unless you have checkpointing turned on (look at the attributes of your policy)

2. Check the system messages file and the bptm log file to see why it froze the tape. 

Mouse
Agree.

Tape freeze can be caused by dirty drive head (needs cleaning) or mechanical or even FC/SCSI problem, so tape may be innocent. Find out why it happened first and after that make a decision either freeze the tape until expirationor or maybe unfreeze it

yadda123
Level 4
Yep, I do have checkpoints enabled(every 15min). So, should I perform a cleaning on the drive? Assume my drive goes through the cleaning ok, what do I do then? How do I restart the job and have it take off from the last checkpoint?

In my logs, I have a few 'tapealert code: 0x14', and 0x27 and 0x1e.

Mouse
Here are descriptions of your errors:

14h
Clean now  The tape drive needs cleaning:
1. If the operation has stopped, eject the tape and clean the drive.
2. If the operation has not stopped, wait for it to finish and then clean the drive.
Check the tape drive users manual for device specific cleaning instructions.
The drive thinks it has a head clog or needs cleaning.

27h
Diagnostics required
The tape drive may have a hardware fault. Run extended diagnostics to verify and diagnose the problem. Check the tape drive users manual for device specific instructions on running extended diagnostic tests.
The drive may have a hardware fault that may be identified by extended diagnostics (i.e., SEND DIAGNOSTIC command).

1Eh
Hardware A
The tape drive has a hardware fault:
1. Eject the tape or magazine.
2. Reset the drive.
3. Restart the operation.
The drive has a hardware fault that requires reset to recover.

Based on the list of errors you provided I can make a conclusion that something is going wrong with your drive (s) in the tape library. Ask your library vendor to dump the error log from the library and follow their recommendations.

Once you fix hardware fault, you can resume your job from the checkpoint (right click on the job in the Activity Monitor)

Alex_Korovin
Level 4
Well done!

Where we can get the full list of tape alert codes?

Mouse
Hi Alex

google for ssc3r01e.pdf

yadda123
Level 4
Thanks Mouse, it does seem to be a hw issue(cant even unload the tape from robtest, netbackup gui, or from the tape library console; havent been able to clean the drive). And netbackup automatically started my job backup and used my other drive. And thanks for pointing us to that pdf.

Alex_Korovin
Level 4
Thanks mouse!

yadda123 why don't mark mouse's post as solution?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Your new tape may have a messed up leader.

Just an FYI for the future.
When you get new tapes before you put them in the library the first time open the little door on the tape and verify the leader is sitting correctly.
The tapes get bounced around a lot before you get them and the leader may get jogged out of place.  A messed up leader would prevent the tape from ejecting ( did you try opening up the library and press the eject button on the drive?  If it still won't come out you will need to the tech on site to get it out for you.

joel_blanks
Level 3
Good Morning to all,

This is the error I am getting when I receive a status code 84.  Can I safely assume that I have a bad tape?

8/25/2009 8:38:24 AM - requesting resource stewdoimb2902-hcart3-robot-tld-0
8/25/2009 8:38:24 AM - requesting resource stewdoimb2901.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.stewdoimc202
8/25/2009 8:38:24 AM - requesting resource stewdoimb2901.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.stewdoimc202
8/25/2009 8:38:24 AM - granted resource stewdoimb2901.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.stewdoimc202
8/25/2009 8:38:24 AM - granted resource stewdoimb2901.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.stewdoimc202
8/25/2009 8:38:24 AM - granted resource 2773L3
8/25/2009 8:38:24 AM - granted resource IBM.ULTRIUM-TD3.001
8/25/2009 8:38:24 AM - granted resource stewdoimb2902-hcart3-robot-tld-0
8/25/2009 8:38:30 AM - started process bpbrm (4544)
8/25/2009 8:38:30 AM - connecting
8/25/2009 8:38:42 AM - connected; connect time: 00:00:12
8/25/2009 8:39:12 AM - current media 2773L3 complete, requesting next media Any
8/25/2009 8:40:10 AM - granted resource 2773L3
8/25/2009 8:40:10 AM - granted resource IBM.ULTRIUM-TD3.002
8/25/2009 8:40:10 AM - granted resource stewdoimb2902-hcart3-robot-tld-0
8/25/2009 8:40:12 AM - mounting 2773L3
8/25/2009 8:40:54 AM - mounted; mount time: 00:00:42
8/25/2009 8:40:54 AM - positioning 2773L3 to file 1112
8/25/2009 8:42:24 AM - positioned 2773L3; position time: 00:01:30
8/25/2009 8:42:24 AM - begin writing
8/25/2009 8:43:59 AM - Error bptm(pid=5820) write error on media id 2773L3, drive index 3, writing header block, 21
8/25/2009 8:44:01 AM - end writing; write time: 00:01:37
media write error(84)

Mouse
 You need to look into System Log and understand what kind of SCSI-error (Tape Alert) was the reason of this error. 

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
A simple task that is too often overlooked. It only takes a second to check & can prevent a lot of stress!! Have heard of whole boxes being dropped in transit & all tape leaders being dislodged leading to numerous calls to vendors to fix tape drives that weren't faulty!!