cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error code 41 network connection timed out

marcoplaul91
Level 2

Hello Experts,

I am facing status code 41 in my environment stating Network Connection Time Out.

Ping and network connectivity is fine

We are having Netbackup 7.7 version for MASTER and MEDIA. 7.6 is installed on the Linux Client.

The backup works until it reaches the backup size 51,2 GB, which is the fragment size of the pure storage (seems that it's not a coincidence). At this point it stucks everytime and will fail after about 1 hour throwing the "network timed out" error 41.

I have this behaviour for a couple of RedHat Clients

I hope you have an idea what the reason for this can be.

Many thanks

Marco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Status code 41 is likely because Netbackup reaches a directory with million of small files, seen that many times before. Backup stopping at the same number GB is for sure a strong indicator.

Use this tech note to debug the location of the "offending" directory: 

Unix client backup jobs hang during the backup:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100003560

If the Linux client has Oracle installed - by best guess would be the audit log directory for Oracle. 

Use the exclude_list to exclude the area for backup, then ask the "owner" of the directory, to perform clean-up so backup can start working again.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@marcoplaul91 

Can you please share all text in Job Details?
If you want to mask hostnames, please replace client name with client1 media server with media1, etc.

Logs needed for troubleshooting - (logging level 3): 
On media server: bpbrm and bptm
On client: bpbkar

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Status code 41 is likely because Netbackup reaches a directory with million of small files, seen that many times before. Backup stopping at the same number GB is for sure a strong indicator.

Use this tech note to debug the location of the "offending" directory: 

Unix client backup jobs hang during the backup:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100003560

If the Linux client has Oracle installed - by best guess would be the audit log directory for Oracle. 

Use the exclude_list to exclude the area for backup, then ask the "owner" of the directory, to perform clean-up so backup can start working again.

Hi Marianne, Hi Nicolai,

Thank you for your help :) A simple reboot of the Mediaserver solved the problem. The process to get access to the clients itself is long. It works now but i don't know what the real issue was.

Anyway thank you very much for your help

Best regards,

Marco