cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error code 811 (failed to communicate with resource requester).

Vickie
Level 6
Hi All,

Backup of windows 2008 media server is failing with error code 811 (failed to communicate with resource requester).
Services are up and running fine, communication with Master server is fine.
Performed the Patch Repair already. NBU version 7.5.0.6.
Master Server : Unix, NBU 7.5.0.6

Drive are up, PBX is running and seems it installed correctly.
Performed Drive Configuration again, rebooted the server.

Regards,
Vickie
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

My personal experience with status 811 had all to do with hostname lookup - mix of short and FQDN in hosts files.

All config was done with shortnames. All test results using name lookup and bptestbpcd succeeded, but jobs to new media servers failed with 811.

Only when all hosts files on master and media server were updated with all matching FQDN did the 811 errors go away.

Herewith my experience with 811:

https://www.veritas.com/connect/forums/811-error-new-media-server
https://www.veritas.com/connect/forums/netbackup-655-media-server-problems

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Most likely, nbjm on the master is unable to communcate with bptm on the media server.

So check name resolution etc ... between these two.

Failing that grab nbjm and bptm logs that cover the time period of the failure.

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You might find the following technote helpful:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH59210

There are a couple of related links in that technote too.

Vickie
Level 6
Hi Martin,

For name resolution I did the following,

1) Nslookup
2) bpclntcmd -pn / -hn / -ip
3) bpgetconfig
4) Checked name entry in Registry in key(Client_Name). And checked Master & EMM server ke (Server, EMMSERVER).
5) No entry is there in [Hosts] file.
6) Connection from Host Properties are fine.

Please assist what else could have been done in way to resolve this.

Master server running fine, all of the other backup are running very well.

Regards,
Vickie

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Put the bpcd log directory on the client and on the Master - then connect to the client via the host properties section while on the Master Server

Then look at the bpcd logs on both - often these say the Master or client is not valid or similar or cannot compare its short name with its FQDN - usually sorted with a hosts file or server entry

Vickie
Level 6
Mark,

BPCD is succeeded.

Below is the line from BPCD logs of Media server

11:31:58.989 [6136.6032] <4> bpcd valid_server: hostname comparison succeeded

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

And what does it say in the clients bpcd log file?

Vickie
Level 6
Backup of media server is failing itself : Media server is client. (These are the BPCD logs from Media Server [Client]). I believe, I better explained it now.

BPCD Logs not being updated on master serve while I tried to connect the media server from Master Server Activity monitor [Host Properties]

Shaf
Level 6

Hi,

please check Firewall make sure all netbackup ports are open between master, media and client

Netbackup ports 1556/13720/13724/13782

and also do check exlusion for netbackup in antivirus...

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If you dont get anything logged on the Master then it is not talking back - do the host properties actually open up?

From the media server do some bpclntcmd commands - start with bpclntcmd -sv and see if it brings back the NetBackup version - this shows it is talking to the master

Also do a ping both ways to make sure the names are resolved correctly - and as Ah45 says check the firewalls (especially for 2008)

Are you running the backup from the Master (scheduled) or doing something on the Media Server?

If doing anything on the media server make sure you open the console etc using the "run as administrator" option or disable UAC

Vickie
Level 6
Host properties are getting open.

D:\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpclntcmd.exe -sv

Ping is doing well, and firewall ports are open as I am able to open the Host Properties, Getting output from "bpgetconfig -s <media server>" command. Bpcd connection is fine etc...

Yeah, I am running the backup from Master Server console itself. 

Not doing it by opening console from Media server 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Ok - just to satisfy my curiosity could you do the following please

From the master ping media server by short and FQDN

From the Media server ping the master by short and FDQN

Just to make sure they all work and do give the correct IP addresses

Does the client name in the policy match the actual media servers client name (short / fqdn)

Vickie
Level 6
I beleive, there might be some Ghost entry of the media server/master server name. Not sure where I can find it.

Reason I'm saying this is : We had upgraded this server from 6.5.6 to 7.5.0.6 and configured it with the name i.e [eg xxxx.abc.com]. But now I changed it to use backup interface [xxxbu.abc.com].
I did the change in Registry in [client] key, and updated the master server using [nbemmcmd -updatehost] command.

Please assist if Any Idea where could be the Ghost entry may found ?

Vickie
Level 6
Checked the IP are giving exactly same from Media to Master and from Master - Media.

Yes, the client name in the policy is same as it configured [xxxxbu.abc.com].

Nbemmcmd -lishosts, command is also giving the Media server name as it configured [xxxxbu.abc.com].

Shaf
Level 6

Also dont forgot check Antivirus exclusion...

if possible can you provide from media server

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpclntcmd -self

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpclntcmd -pn

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpclntcmd -hn <master server name>

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpclntcmd -ip <master server ip address>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

telnet <master server > 1556 from media  server

telnet <media server> 1556 from master server

and if possible provide us pbx logs

vxlogview -p 50936 -i 103 -S > /tmp/pbx.txt

some imp info about ports:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Master server to client requires the TCP port for 13724 .

Client to master server requires the TCP port for 13724 for client-initiated, not server-initiated, operations.

Media server to client requires the TCP port for 13724 and PBX/1556.

Master server to/from media servers requires the TCP ports for 13724 and PBX/1556,

Media server to media server requires the TCP port for 13724 and PBX/1556, bi-directional. ·

Note: traffic will be bidirectional

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

mmmm - OK - could we see the text from the detail tab of the job please and if changing names just make it clear what the master and media names are

Thanks

Vickie
Level 6

Here attached the detailed log for Parent as well as Child job

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The job details doesn't show why we errored.  You might want to run nbdna to see who everyone is resolved as.

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
You can try deleting the "host_cache" folder from both the master server ad well as the media server and then try recycling the netbackup services. The host_cache folder can be found in \Netbackup\var\global Once you recycle the netbackuo services this folder will be created automatically.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

My personal experience with status 811 had all to do with hostname lookup - mix of short and FQDN in hosts files.

All config was done with shortnames. All test results using name lookup and bptestbpcd succeeded, but jobs to new media servers failed with 811.

Only when all hosts files on master and media server were updated with all matching FQDN did the 811 errors go away.

Herewith my experience with 811:

https://www.veritas.com/connect/forums/811-error-new-media-server
https://www.veritas.com/connect/forums/netbackup-655-media-server-problems

Hope this helps.