cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error opening the snapshot disks using given transport mode status 23 message on a single vm

rudif
Level 3

i'm running netbackup 7.6.0.3 with 5220 appliance.

this message only appears for one vm backup.  I can backup another vm on the same datastore without a problem, so it's not an issue for the appliance to see the lun.

I can also backup a vm in the same policy.  what else can I look into?  I added nbd to the policy and it worked.  I don't see any issues with the name or dns.

thanks,

rudif

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

nbd transport mode is when sending data across WAN , which work fine. If you are using SAN transfer, ensure the same LUN acting as you datastore is also visible (Zoned) to the media server (backup host) which is writing this job. Thank you.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

If it were my own situation, I'd first try removing the VM from the policy and then add back in.

Try checking on the VM name - display name, hostname, DNS name all OK.

Compared to the "good VM" do you see any differences like, RDM, OS, VMware tools installed or not, size of the allocated vmdk, too much CPU/resource pool size, thin/thick provisioned disks...?

Perhaps if you share the full progress log from the activity monitor job detail window it may help everyone understand more in detail on what is happening...

A

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Enable/check VxMS log for clues.

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you check http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH213474 please?

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

any update on this yet?

rudif
Level 3

hi,  thanks for the feedback

I had to add nbd to keep things working and I haven't returned to investigate further.

I always run rescan on the appliance and I verify the luns are visible.  there are vms on the same lun that are successful, so it's not the lun.

I will post a follow-up after I review the policies again.

rudif

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

While the VMware Backup Host (your appliance) is idle, try killing any of the hung bpbkar process?

There might be some bpbkar processes from the previous backups, still holding on to some kind of lock on the file handle for the snapshot on ESX side, causing issues for snapshot mount.

A

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If you try San transport once more, and post all text in Job details along with VxMS log file (as .txt file), we can help to troubleshoot. No guarantee that we will find the issue, but it will at least give us something to look at. Up to now you have given us nothing to work with.

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

nbd transport mode is when sending data across WAN , which work fine. If you are using SAN transfer, ensure the same LUN acting as you datastore is also visible (Zoned) to the media server (backup host) which is writing this job. Thank you.

rudif
Level 3

hi,

the only thing I did was add nbd to the backup policy and left it at that.

had to move on but thanks for the feedback. 

I will revisit this issue after an upgrade of Symantec.

rudif

Solution: 

I myself have been looking for a solution for a long time.
Clean the / tmp folder.

rm -rf /tmp/*