cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error requesting media

paresh_rane
Level 3

Hi Team,

Am facing error as "error requesting media" we are having two tape libraries in our environment connected to two different master servers(windows and solaris) but when i remove one tape from a tape lib attached to master server (solaris master server)  and insert it in TL attached to windows server i get error.""error requesting media""

i have ran bplabel  but again face erorr

bplabel -m 2854l4 -d hcart -o -p NetBackup

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You CANNOT use LTO4 media in LTO5 drive if density is different.

Either change density of tape drive to match media or change density of media to match tape drive.

If you de-select (option not ticked) to verify label, then NBU will overwrite internal label without checking. It will not display an error.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Level 6
Are the tape libraries the same or different make and model? What about tape drives and media? Same or different? Is media the same type as the drives in the Windows library? Have you tried robtest to see if the tape can be mounted on a drive? Why are you moving tapes between the libraries? Are you aware that tapes will be overwritten in the other environment?

paresh_rane
Level 3

tape libraries are different

media lto4 and tape drives lto5

yes robtest works

as solaris master server connected tape libraries we are disconecting the setup so moving to windows server connected tape library

Marianne
Level 6
Is density of tape drive and media the same in NBU? If tape drive is hcart2, then media must also be hcart2. If all is fine, add VERBOSE entry to vm.conf on Windows server and restart NBU. Check Windows Event logs after next error.

paresh_rane
Level 3

in solaris previous  setup it was hcart and in windows server its hcart2

Marianne
Level 6
Media and drive density MUST match. NBU will not load hcart media into hcart2 tape drive.

paresh_rane
Level 3

thanks marianne

we have ibmts3500 Tl in which thtere are lto5(hcart2) and lto4 drives(hcart) so as per your instructions i cant insert tape in lto5 as its is hccart2 ,but when i insert it in lto 4 and tried one backup i face below error

incorrect media found in drive index 15, expected 2853L4, found CI2853, FREEZING 2853L4

paresh_rane
Level 3

Hi marianne,

i have insert the tapes in lto4 (hcart) drive and its working fine post bplabel command just want  to know is there any way i can use these tape in lto5 drives(hcart2)?

Marianne
Level 6

... expected 2853L4, found CI2853.....

This means that the Windows robot are reading all 8 characters but no Media ID Generation Rule was added to tell NBU to use the 1st 6 characters as media ID (default is last 6).

You will need to re-label these tapes and de-select 'Verify label'.

As long as tape drive and media are same density, you can use LTO4 media in LTO5 tape drives.

paresh_rane
Level 3

yes i re-label these tapes and de-select 'Verify label'. in lto5 but it gives error ". expected 2853L4, found CI2853.....as density is different  

but in lto4 it works as density is same

how to use these tape in lto5 where density is different?

Marianne
Level 6

You CANNOT use LTO4 media in LTO5 drive if density is different.

Either change density of tape drive to match media or change density of media to match tape drive.

If you de-select (option not ticked) to verify label, then NBU will overwrite internal label without checking. It will not display an error.

paresh_rane
Level 3

Thank you very much marianne :)