cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error restoring a backup from a system that is no longer available

Joe8313
Level 2
I am having an issue retrieving something from a backup tape for a system that is no longer there. I am using 5.0MP7 (I know end of life). LEt's call the system i am trying to recover something from as sqlcell1. i want to restore the system32 directory to another location on another server. It keeps failing with error code 5. I looked in logs and it looks like it is timing out trying to connect to the server. I can restore things from other servers to another location, just not from this server. In the backup and restore GUI I select our master server as the server, sqlcell1 as the client server and then the server i want to restore to as the restore to server. It tries to run for a bit and then gives the error. Am I correct in thinking that I should be able to do this? I placed the tape that it needs in a stand-alone drive bay in the tape library system that we have. The restore says 1 image required, tape 000179 required and then does nothing. any thoughts?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Was the client backed up also a media server?
NetBackup Master sends restore to the media server that wrote the backup.
If you follow the restore process in the bprd log on the master, you will be able to see which media server is selected for the restore.
Add FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER entry on the master server.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Was the client backed up also a media server?
NetBackup Master sends restore to the media server that wrote the backup.
If you follow the restore process in the bprd log on the master, you will be able to see which media server is selected for the restore.
Add FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER entry on the master server.

Joe8313
Level 2
Yes the original backed up system was a media server. The logs show that it is erroring out trying to communicate with that server. I know it is going to error out because that server is not there. I am not sure where or how to add the FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER entry. If you could let me know that would be great. I am going to look thru help to see as well but at least you gave me a starting point. Thank you.

stu52
Level 5
the following line would need to be added to your bp.conf file on the master server:

FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = <mediaservername> <masterservername>

this will force the restores from <mediaservername> to be done by the master server.

use the method from the following tech note for windows master:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/262726.htm

Marianne
Level 6
Use the TechNote that stu52 suggested - it gives all the details. Once you have restored successfully, we need to try and help you to rebuild the lost media server's mediaDB entries. Without that, your media will not expire properly and you won't be able to upgrade to NBU 6.x.
Post another request once your restore is done.