cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exchange 2003 backup failing with GRT enabled

Tracy_Fry
Level 4

Hi all,

I have had this problem for a while now and after some extensive testing the backup is failing at this point:-

TRV - Starting granular backup processing

basically i am backing up an information store with grt enabled / perform snapshot backups ticked/policy = MS-Exchange Server

our config = master = win2k3 r2 standard - media win2k8r2 - client win2k3 r2 standard - exchange 2003 - netbackup v 7.0.1 on client/media and master

i have installed nfs on media and client and have manually tested NBFSD connection and all ok - portmapper is started on the media server

i have set up performance monitoring on the client during backup to monitor disk space/cpu/memory/page file etc and nothing gets hammered at all. and have ensured that all backup exec services on the server are stopped

The backup manages to back up at least 101gb of data with no issue until it gets to the stage = TRV - Starting granular backup processing- when it gets to this stage a stop error occurrs on the client resulting in the client restarting [this occurrs on any active node in the cluster] so i do not believe it is a hardware issue

I have a case with Symantec - on-going for 3 months months now...

Does anyone have any idea's

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Tracy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You were referring to a cluster in your original post - this made me believe that the Exchange data was on SAN disk that will failover between  the cluster nodes. For that reason I was querying Storport drivers on the cluster nodes. It is a known problem on W2003 and normally produce Event id 129 errors.

You also mentioned that this happens when GRT is enabled - are backups completing successfully when GRT is de-selected?

All I can suggest is to insist that your support call be escalated...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne

I assume you and Support have checked for errors in Event Viewer System and App logs?

I assume shared storage is SAN attached? How up-to-date is Windows Storport driver? What Storage/Volume management software are you using?

Tracy_Fry
Level 4

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply, yes we ahve been through the event log and app log and the only error we get is the stop error itself, which is

Error code 00000027, parameter1 baad0080, parameter2 f1fb2568, parameter3 f1fb2264, parameter4 e09299e9 - which i have googled to death!

We are using locally attached storage that is managed by HP acu - jsut a very basic set up and i have set up disk monitoring checks during the backup and there is no indication any disk is being hammered.

Does GRT processing rely/use a particular service/resourse as it is at this point the client stops and restarts?

Many thanks for your advice

Tracy

Marianne

You were referring to a cluster in your original post - this made me believe that the Exchange data was on SAN disk that will failover between  the cluster nodes. For that reason I was querying Storport drivers on the cluster nodes. It is a known problem on W2003 and normally produce Event id 129 errors.

You also mentioned that this happens when GRT is enabled - are backups completing successfully when GRT is de-selected?

All I can suggest is to insist that your support call be escalated...

Tracy_Fry
Level 4

Hi -

Sorry for the cofusion - i recently posted a query regarding vcs.....

The back-up works fine with GRT de-selected

I have been working with support since November on this issue - they are notoriously difficult to get hold of....

if i get a solution from them - i will post it

Many thanks

Tracy