cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export catalog to new netbackup server

NOCEUM
Level 2

Hi Guys,

I would like to build test envairoment for Netbackup 7.7.3. with new hardware.

Currently We are using Netbackup 7.7.3 with Windows 2008 R2. I would like to export catalog into new harware with windows 2012 R2.

How can I export the catalog from version 7.7.3. 

Should I change the new netbackup server same name as current netbackup? any prosedure for this?

Regards

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It is called catalog recovery. 

The new server must have the same hostname, Same NBU version must be installed and in the same installation directory. 

Documentation: 

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master servers as part of a hardware refresh 
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000041076

Dear Marrianne,

thank you very much for your reply.

I would like to use new hardware as test server. I dont  want to shut down my prod servers. 

Is it possible??

Best Regards

Marianne
Level 6

You can build your test environment in a different network that cannot be reached by the production network.

The hostname of the master must be the same for catalog recovery to work, but IP addresses can be different.

Hi Marianne

I am also looking at a catalog restore but its to replace my current production Master / Media server

How can I build the new server with same hostname and have them both up at the same time ?

Marianne
Level 6

@joea 

You need to prepare the new master server whille off the network. 

After successful catalog backup, switch off the old master and add new master on the network.

There is probably a way to have the server on the network with a different IP address without adding it on DNS, but in all honesty, I have never done it on Windows - only on Unix/Linux. 
If you have a Windows master, maybe your Windows sysadmin can provide advice. 

Further to Marianne's comments, the other challenge with Windows in an active directory environment, you cannot have two machines with the same name on the network at one time (even with different IPs). 

And although you can build the master server and have it ready - if you are using a domain account for the Web services user, you are not going to be able to add it to the "login as a service" local security policy, so will be unable to install NBU until it is part of the domain (which imples the old master has been disconnected).

That is my current issue, I have the new server built and 2 weeks ago name conflicts errors statred show up in event logs etc.

same name but differnent IP and I think it meesed up some jobs etc. so it is currently unplugged from our network. I also can not seem to get the new server device wizrd to run to configure the tape drives in order to restore the catalog tape

I am getting EMMS errors ?