Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file read failed(13)

issmag
Level 5

hi guys,

i need your help please.

i aleatory have a backup Error with error code 13 on windows file server 2008 R2. the Netbackup client is 7.1... i need to know please if i update to 7.5.0.6 it will solve the issue ?

it's will be better if you give me a link of an official document to give a feedback to our customer !

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hi issmag,

Status 13 is fairly general error code.  You'll need to specify a lot more detail if anyone here is to be able to help you in any detail...

Is the Windows 2008 R2 server running as a NetBackup client, or media server or master ?

Has SP1 been installed ?

Is it running DFS ?

Are you able to list the backup policy include list (i.e. what it is that you are trying to backup) ?

Are you able to upgrade client to v7.1.0.4 first ?

Have you enabled NetBackup Client logging, and inspected the bpbkar logs ?

Have you checked the status of VSS ?

Here's a link to the official status 13 tech note:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH37372

HTH,

Dave.

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

NetBackup has been supporting windows 2008 R2 since 6.5, so any 7.x client would be fine.

Many things can cause a Status 13, you can refer to HOWTO34899 for the list. We really need more information, like the detailed status, to toubleshoot further.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Your backup client Windows 2008 R2 is supported for use with NetBackup Client v7.1, as detailed here in the compatibility matrix:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH76648&key=15143

...but I'd certainly recommend patching the client to v7.1.0.4 - as long as everything else higher up (i.e. media server(s), master server(s)) are also running at least v7.1.0.4.

issmag
Level 5

thanks guys for your replies.

For a similar server i updated the client Netbackup from 7.1 to 7.5.0.6 and the error has been vanished.. so the customer need to be sure that this netbackup version will solve all the  simlar issue.. that for i need an official artice from symantec that can help !

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

There is no document that will show that an upgrade wil fix the problem, until we know what the problem is, and even then, with status 13 being so 'generic' I would be surprised if it could be shown for 100% certain.

As per the TN above, there are many causes to status 13.

Once the cause is found, then if there is a known issue that shows it is fixed by an upgrade, then there may be documentation that shows this as a possible fix, but it is virtually impossible to say an upgrade will fix the issue, and it only becomes more likely an upgrade may fix, if all the other possible fixes for the issue are tried first.

It would also be useful to know if this client ever worked, and, if it did what changed around the time the problem started.

If the client did work, then I would suggest it is certainly not impossible that an upgrade would fix (depending on the cause) but the actual cause is 'less' likely to be NBU itself, as the code you are running before and after the problem started is the same.

Of course, it is not a bad idea to upgrade clients if possible, so you may wish to try this anyway.