cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

folder backup on client doesn't work

CCBNZ
Level 4

Hi experts,

I tried to backup a local folder on a client server but failed, below are the logs, any idea?

07/30/2019 18:08:20 - connecting
07/30/2019 18:08:24 - Info bpbrm (pid=11308) starting bpbkar32 on client
07/30/2019 18:08:24 - connected; connect time: 0:00:00
07/30/2019 18:08:26 - Info bpbkar32 (pid=7584) Backup started
07/30/2019 18:08:26 - Info bpbkar32 (pid=7584) change time comparison:<disabled>
07/30/2019 18:08:26 - Info bpbkar32 (pid=7584) archive bit processing:<enabled>
07/30/2019 18:08:26 - Info bptm (pid=10732) start
07/30/2019 18:08:26 - Info bptm (pid=10732) using 65536 data buffer size
07/30/2019 18:08:26 - Info bptm (pid=10732) setting receive network buffer to 263168 bytes
07/30/2019 18:08:26 - Info bptm (pid=10732) using 30 data buffers
07/30/2019 18:08:26 - Info bpbkar32 (pid=7584) not using change journal data for <F:\local folder>: not enabled
07/30/2019 18:08:27 - Info bptm (pid=10732) start backup
07/30/2019 18:08:27 - Info bptm (pid=10732) backup child process is pid 8512.11064
07/30/2019 18:08:27 - Info bptm (pid=10732) Waiting for mount of media id 6334L6 (copy 1) on server abcde.
07/30/2019 18:08:27 - Info bptm (pid=8512) start
07/30/2019 18:08:27 - mounting 6334L6
07/30/2019 18:09:31 - Info bptm (pid=10732) media id 6334L6 mounted on drive index 0, drivepath {3,0,0,0}, drivename HP.ULTRIUM6-SCSI.000, copy 1
07/30/2019 18:09:31 - mounted 6334L6; mount time: 0:01:04
07/30/2019 18:09:39 - positioning 6334L6 to file 16
07/30/2019 18:11:00 - Info bptm (pid=10732) waited for full buffer 0 times, delayed 0 times
07/30/2019 18:11:00 - positioned 6334L6; position time: 0:01:21
07/30/2019 18:11:00 - begin writing
07/30/2019 18:11:13 - Info bptm (pid=10732) EXITING with status 90 <----------
07/30/2019 18:11:17 - Info bpbkar32 (pid=7584) done. status: 90: media manager received no data for backup image

Thank you

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can check bpbkar log to see how the backup selection path is interpreted.

About tape - best to ask about different subject in separate/new discussion.

The option to "Allow backups to span tape media" is enabled by default in NBU host properties (see Chapter 3 of Admin Guide I) 
If all tapes are full, the backup will fail with Status 96. 
NetBackup will only overwrite previously used media if all images on the tape has expired.

Important to plan for sufficient media that matches your company's retention requirements.
Never expire existing, unexpired images just because you do not have sufficient media for new backups.
'Murphy' will make sure that your users will ask for a restore the day after you have manually expired tapes and overwrote the contents.

View solution in original post

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

@CCBNZ you still seem confused about difference between configuring backups of DFS vs. configuring backups of DFSR.  You need to be careful.  You need to be sure that you understand.  You need to check your backup contents, inpect the contents via the restore GUI, be sure you understand what is actually being picked up.  Also, see this:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/DFS-folder-backup-shadow-copy-impossible/m-p/869099#M240563

Re tapes:

1) Will Netbackup knows if a tape is full and move to next one?

Yes.

2) If a full backup can't be fit into one drive it will continue to write to the next available one?

No necessarily the next drive, certainly another tape, but usually on same drive.

3) What happen if all the tapes are full?

The currently running backups will fail.

4) Is there a configuration I can change the behavior, e.g. if all tapes are full, overwrite the first tape in the volume pool?

No.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I'll apologize to sdo in advance, but, but I just can't help myself .

Yes.

Actually, no - NBU has no understanding of tape capacity, it thinks every tape is infinite.  It relies on the drive firmware telling the tape driver that the tape is full, which in turn tells NBU.  Ultimately, the result should be as if 'NBU' detected it.

Why does this matter - it does't until tapes start getting marked as full at an amount way below the natve (uncompressed) capacity - armed with the above information however, you would understand that the isue is tape drive/ hardware/ firmware / driver related not NBU.

13 REPLIES 13

Marianne

What type of data is on the F-drive? 
Maybe part of DFS-R?
Or part of exclude list?

To see why bpbkar produced the error, please create bpbkar log folder on the client, set logging level to 1 and retry the backup.

After the error, copy the log file in bpbkar folder to bpbkar.txt and upload here. 

Hi Marianne,

Glad to see you. Yes, it is part of DFS. Is this a problem?

I will collect the logs.

Thank you.

sdo

What is the the "selection list" for the backup policy ?

Marianne

You cannot backup DFS folders as 'flat files' while DFS Replication service is running. 

Please see this TN: 
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100038589.html

Once DFSR is configured on a Windows Server host, NetBackup will detect the DFSR instance and make two changes to ensure data consistency during backups. First, the folders used to host the Shared Replica DFSR data become automatically excluded by NetBackup from File System backupsSecond, the top level DFSR shared folders become a part of the “Shadow Copy Components”. 

The TN goes on to explain how to backup DFS folders. 

Thank you, that makes sense. But I give a try to backup the upper level folder (not been configured with the DFSR) which contatins this DFSR folder, it looks like it is working?  It is backing up the DFSR folder as well, however it is still backing up, i will have a look after completetion.

I have few questions regarding tapes, will Netbackup knows if a tape is full and move to next one? If a full backup can't be fit into one drive it will continue to write to the next available one? What happen if all the tapes are full? Is there a configuration I can change the behavior, e.g. if all tapes are full, overwrite the first tape in the volume pool?

Thank you

Marianne

You can check bpbkar log to see how the backup selection path is interpreted.

About tape - best to ask about different subject in separate/new discussion.

The option to "Allow backups to span tape media" is enabled by default in NBU host properties (see Chapter 3 of Admin Guide I) 
If all tapes are full, the backup will fail with Status 96. 
NetBackup will only overwrite previously used media if all images on the tape has expired.

Important to plan for sufficient media that matches your company's retention requirements.
Never expire existing, unexpired images just because you do not have sufficient media for new backups.
'Murphy' will make sure that your users will ask for a restore the day after you have manually expired tapes and overwrote the contents.

sdo

@CCBNZ you still seem confused about difference between configuring backups of DFS vs. configuring backups of DFSR.  You need to be careful.  You need to be sure that you understand.  You need to check your backup contents, inpect the contents via the restore GUI, be sure you understand what is actually being picked up.  Also, see this:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/DFS-folder-backup-shadow-copy-impossible/m-p/869099#M240563

Re tapes:

Yes.

2) If a full backup can't be fit into one drive it will continue to write to the next available one?

No necessarily the next drive, certainly another tape, but usually on same drive.

3) What happen if all the tapes are full?

The currently running backups will fail.

4) Is there a configuration I can change the behavior, e.g. if all tapes are full, overwrite the first tape in the volume pool?

No.

Hi Marianne,

Sorry about the late reply.

You was absolutely right, I can only back the contents on the upper level foder, but not that DFS folder. And I have looked through the link you send, it mentioned "Policy Configuration – Medium to Large DFSR Environments ( >50 GB )", does it mean the actual replicated DFS folder is larger than 50GB or the staging folder?  I tried to backup via the network by using the UNC path, it saids the backup job runs partialy success because it can't backup the conents users are opening. Is this a good practice to backup on this way? 

Thank you for your answer for the tape usage.

Regards

Thank you for the part of tape usage, that is very helpful.

Sorry, the last reply was for you:

Thank you for the part of tape usage, that is very helpful.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I'll apologize to sdo in advance, but, but I just can't help myself .

Yes.

Actually, no - NBU has no understanding of tape capacity, it thinks every tape is infinite.  It relies on the drive firmware telling the tape driver that the tape is full, which in turn tells NBU.  Ultimately, the result should be as if 'NBU' detected it.

Why does this matter - it does't until tapes start getting marked as full at an amount way below the natve (uncompressed) capacity - armed with the above information however, you would understand that the isue is tape drive/ hardware/ firmware / driver related not NBU.

Marianne

@CCBNZ 

I have no idea why you are using UNC path. 

The TN have the path in this format:
Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\LosAngeles

As per the TN, you can also use BAR GUI on the client to navigate to the folder you want to backup.

To aid in determining the correct path(s) to add to the Backup Selections of the DFSR backup policy, open the Backup, Archive and Restore GUI on the DFSR Server, then ‘Select for Backup’ to open the file browser. 

Navigate down the Shadow Copy Components tree to the DfsrReplicatedFolders level. This will provide the exact path to each top level DFSR folder as seen by NetBackup.

Thank you so much, I gave it a bit of time to verify, it seems all OK.