cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hardware

komondor1
Level 3

I have the same question that it seems so many people do beacuse it is not easy to find.

I am not looking for a minimum requiremnent list but optimal/best performance etc..

We will have 20 server VMs about 75Gb each realitly static, no web servers, sharepoint or exchange servers.

40 workstation again minimal use no Microsoft Office application are insatlled the whole server/clients are used for Idustrial control system management.  Most application are web based, clients are Windows 10 about 35Gb in size and one "Historian" that does track changes ~1GB per day of raw data.

Network should be fairly fast with 10GB going to the servers and the  storage array has 16GB FC, tape backup is 8 Gb FC.

Right now the servers are quad processor 18 core 2.2 GHz systems with 128 Gb of RAM and a 3 1.2 TB 10K SAS drives for the servers.  

I am wondering if I need a second set of drives for the Netbackup to run optimally that are SSD Drives  and possibly more RAM in the Server.

Will be doing one full and 6 differnetial each week

I am also looking at using the Servers for something other than dedictaed to backups, or just purchase an inepensive single processor with 12 cores at 3 GHZ and all SSD Drives and just sue these servers for something else since they are way overkill, or are they?

1 REPLY 1

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Sounds like you already have tape, so do you already have NetBackup?  Or are you looking to move to NetBackup?  Or is there an existing ongoing capacity (storage or thoughput or both) problem that you are trying to solve?

IMO, it's best not to start by pre-supposing hardware.  So, before doing anything else, the first steps are always to identify the "business requirements" for HA/DR - i.e. not what you think the technical "IT requirements" are for HA/DR, or what you "want" to do - but instead what does the "business" actually require for HA/DR which then determines your RPO and RTO.

Once you know your required RPO and RTO, then add to the mix the source and target data first principals... of... volume of source data, source data rate-of-change, source data expected growth, backup event frequency, backup event job run window, target backup locations, target backup retentions... some number crunching in Excel will generate your backup data throughput (i.e. network carrier data movement) requirerments, i.e. source data "incoming" PLUS target data "outgoing" - i.e. remember to count the network (LAN and/or SAN) impact twice because the source data has to be ingested by a backup media server, and then also spat out by that same media server, and then "ingested" again at the backup target storage unit.

See here:

NetBackup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide

https://www.veritas.com/bin/support/docRepoServlet?bookId=99904379-99904385-1&requestType=pdf