cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please do not confuse the archiving in NetBackup with proper archiving solutions for email and file servers.

NetBackup archive needs a User Archive schedule in a policy and can only be started manually by a sysadmin on the client.
The sysadmin will select files/folders in BAR GUI on the client and select the archive option or run bparchive from cmd and specify the files/folders. It cannot be scheduled.
This can only be done by a user with write permission on the filesystem because this user's id will be used to delete the files/folder.
Delete will only happen when the backup was successful.
If the archive is done by a user with read-only permission, the backup will happen but files will not be deleted and an error message will be displayed.

Detailed info in NBU Admin Guide I. (Links to manuals in Handy NBU Links in my signature.)

If you need a proper archiving solution, have a look at Symantec Enterprise Vault:  http://www.symantec.com/enterprise-vault

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Achiving deletes the data backed up, providing the backup is successful. I'm not aware there is any option after duplicaion. There is 'expire after duplication' for example with SLP, where the primary copy is expired after duplication, but this is not archving and the data on disk is nt touched, only the backup copy.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please do not confuse the archiving in NetBackup with proper archiving solutions for email and file servers.

NetBackup archive needs a User Archive schedule in a policy and can only be started manually by a sysadmin on the client.
The sysadmin will select files/folders in BAR GUI on the client and select the archive option or run bparchive from cmd and specify the files/folders. It cannot be scheduled.
This can only be done by a user with write permission on the filesystem because this user's id will be used to delete the files/folder.
Delete will only happen when the backup was successful.
If the archive is done by a user with read-only permission, the backup will happen but files will not be deleted and an error message will be displayed.

Detailed info in NBU Admin Guide I. (Links to manuals in Handy NBU Links in my signature.)

If you need a proper archiving solution, have a look at Symantec Enterprise Vault:  http://www.symantec.com/enterprise-vault