cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long this command will run?

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.6.0.3

i've been asked to test the disk/path where images are stored prior to dedup. just want to know how long will this command run:

./bpbkar -nocont -dt 0 -nofileinfo -nokeepalives   /YOUR-DATA-PATH-TO-TEST-HERE    > /dev/null

do i leave it running overnight or wait for it to finish?

there isn't a man page for NBU commands so it's hard to tell what each switch does also.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

To check this "bpbkar -nocont..." progress, you can either look at the bpbkar logs (to see if it keeps reading the files you point to). 

How long it will run really depends on how big your path is, try a smaller one first and you probably can estimate on your own.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

"images are stored prior to dedup", could you expline this.. what is this path contains.. source data that requried to be backup., or backup images that are being backup with disk STU(non dedup disk)

this commend time depends on type of data & number of files.....unless we know what kind of data the path you are looking to check contaings its hard to answer...

Lowell_Palecek
Level 6
Employee

Who asked you to run this command, and why can't you ask them for clarification? Since bpbkar is not in the command reference manual, I think that means it's not intended for general CLI usage.

I can't answer "How long will this run?", but I can contribute a little bit about what the options mean:

First, you must be on some version of Unix or Linux, because the command would be bpbkar32 on Windows.

Usually, bpbkar is started by another NetBackup process. The -nocont parameter has an effect of inhibiting the return of status to the calling process. The calling process expects a minimum of a "BACKUP START" message as well as an exit status. You would expect catalog messages, too, in a real backup.

In reverse, bpbkar expects a "CONTINUE BACKUP" message from the calling process. With the -nocont option, it doesn't look for it.

The -nokeepalives option inhibits the sending of periodic 1-byte keepalive message to the calling process, which would otherwise time out after a few minutes.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Nobody can tell you how long it will run.

This command is meant to test read speed from disk and will thus depend on, size, disk performance and filesystem efficiency.

The command is well documented in Performance Tuning Guide and TechNotes to test read speed from disk without actually writing anything or sending data across network.

Leave it to run.

Oh! You need to have bpbkar log folder with logging level at minimum of 1 to view results.

To check this "bpbkar -nocont..." progress, you can either look at the bpbkar logs (to see if it keeps reading the files you point to). 

How long it will run really depends on how big your path is, try a smaller one first and you probably can estimate on your own.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What happened to this one?

this one took a few hours and the result is there is no performance issue with the disk or SAN storage where images are written.